8 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2013 2:51 PM by hyperionEPM RSS

Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting

hyperionEPM
      Hello Gurus,

I am trying to change the GC strategy from Generational Parallel Mark & Sweep to Generational Concurrent Mark & Sweep for Financial Reporting server and unable to do so...

Can anyone please let me know the steps on how I can change the GC strategy and enable the GC logging for Financial Reporting so that we can understand the OOM issue?

Thanks,
      hyperionEPM
        • 1. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
          JohnGoodwin
          I am not sure what you have tried but the following might be useful - http://java.dzone.com/articles/jrockit-gc-action

Cheers

John
          http://john-goodwin.blogspot.com/
          • 2. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
            hyperionEPM
            Hello John,

I will certainly go through the link that you have posted, but I am still not sure at to how we can set these options for Financial Reporting.

We tried modifying the settings in setDomainEnv.cmd file but it seems that the parameters written in the setDomainEnv file are getting overwritten by some other parameters.

So what I am trying to ask here is - is there a specific file which can be used to set the GC strategy and also enable the GC collection log?

Thanks,
            hyperion
            • 3. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
              JohnGoodwin
              It should be the same place as documented at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/epm_install_1112200/ch11s01s01.html

Cheers

John
              • 4. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
                hyperionEPM
                I tried the following per the documentation --

<li> Created a new Registry key JVMOption47 and assigned the value: -Xgc:gencon
                <li> Created a new Registry key JVMOption48 and assigned the value: -Xverboselog:C:\Oracle\gclog.txt

Even after mentioning the registry settings the Garbage collection strategy is not getting changed to Generational concurrent and also the gclog.txt is not getting created.

Is there something wrong in the above process??

Thanks,
                hyperionEPM
                • 5. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
                  Sriram Ayyagari-Oracle
                  Hope you have incremented JVMOptioncount as well.

alternately You could try changing in setcustomparamsfinancialreporting.cmd and start FR using start script and see?

Edited by: Sriram Ayyagari on May 24, 2013 8:44 AM
                  • 6. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
                    JohnGoodwin
                    If you start using startFinancialReporting.bat this will start using the windows service and will ignore setCustomParamsFinancialReporting.bat
                    As it looks like you are starting using the windows service and updating JVMOptionCount remember it is set as hexadecimal by default when you increment

Cheers

John
                    • 7. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
                      hyperionEPM
                      Hello John,

Thanks for that update :)

I tried creating a New String value in the registry editor as JVMOption47 and JVMOption48 and mentioned the parameters as mentioned above. And I start my service using the windows services console, which I believe uses the startFinancialReporting.bat file?

Is there something wrong in the process? Because even after specifying the registry keys it is not changing the GC strategy and neither it is generating the logs.

Sriram: Yes, I did increment the JVMOptionCount value...we had the values till 46 in the registry for FR. How do I use the service using the setCustomParamsFinancialReporting.bat file?

Thanks,
                      hyperionEPM
                      • 8. Re: Changing the GC strategy for Financial Reporting
                        hyperionEPM
                        Hello John,

Sorry I was not able to get what you were trying to say earlier..but I now understand what you had to say..

I did not update the JVMOptionCount value even after applying the registry changes and hence it was not applying the settings that were mentioned in registry.

I updated the JVMOptionCount value and it changed the GC strategy for Financial Reporting.

Thanks a lot..You are a savior..!! Thanks once again. :)

Thanks.
                        hyperionEPM