This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 7:33 AM by mzshaw RSS

Create an EBS Session

Alejandro Tovar Lanz Expert
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,

Is there any way to get a EBS session in my browser without having the user logging in manually in EBS? I have the credentials and in an external application a link to ebs. Since I have logged in already in my external application (the credentials are the same than EBS) I want to somehow create an session in the background so when I click the link I am not asked to provide user / password again.

Regards
  • 1. Re: Create an EBS Session
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE
    If you mean bypass the login (username/password) then I believe there is no way and even if you the user is signed in you can't capture the URL with the username and password.

Thanks,
    Hussein
  • 2. Re: Create an EBS Session
    DBA_EBiz_EBS Explorer
    >
    Hi,

Is there any way to get a EBS session in my browser without having the user logging in manually in EBS? I have the credentials and in an external application a link to ebs. Since I have logged in already in my external application (the credentials are the same than EBS) I want to somehow create an session in the background so when I click the link I am not asked to provide user / password again.

Regards
    >

Hi,

Have you checked out fnd_user_pkg.validate_login? I think that might give some clue or a way
    to work around your issue.

Hope this helps

Regards,
  • 3. Re: Create an EBS Session
    Thanks for your reply. I thought having the user/password would be something I could do in the background to achieve this but well.

There are some tools 'kind of robots' that allows you to record steps on webpages. Maybe using one of those to login without the final user notice it will do the trick although it seems a dirty solution.

They don't want to add any other application or anything else apart of what they already have i just didn't think that will be that imposible to propagate the identity through oracle systems.

Regards
  • 4. Re: Create an EBS Session
    gareth.roberts Pro
    Hi Alejandro,

As long as your app is web browser based then theoretically, as you have suggested, you could script the retrieval and login via the EBS page automatedly - the key thing being that you need the EBS session cookie in the browser session... (which is also stored in database) and user should be able to navigate to EBS pages as usual.

Regards,
    Gareth
    http://garethroberts.blogspot.com
  • 5. Re: Create an EBS Session
    Hi,

Thank you. Do you know any tool I could use to achieve this? Its a shame that will be the only way. Wll the integration with external application are just one direction: External App -> EBS but not the opposite. At least judging in the available documentation.

Regards
  • 6. Re: Create an EBS Session
    gareth.roberts Pro
    Hi Alejandro,

You previously stated: They don't want to add any other application or anything else apart of what they already have...
    There is the obvious option of single sign on infrastructure ... but is sounds like that isn't viable?

Re the other way around - EBS to your external applicable... theoretically (which means no I haven't tried it and don't know of any tools other than building your own) may be possible, but tricky ;-) .... browser session cookie interrogation and comparison with EBS database side session cookie...

Regards,
    Gareth
  • 7. Re: Create an EBS Session
    Yes,

I need to say that the applications are NOT in the same server. And what the business doesn't want is to add a new product like OAM. I am thinking something simple than that (and more complicated at the same time).

At least you've got a theory. Do you think it might work? Where can I start?

Regards
  • 8. Re: Create an EBS Session
    gareth.roberts Pro
    Code your other other application load up and submit the EBS homepage in the background then store the cookie.

Regards,
    Gareth
  • 9. Re: Create an EBS Session
    mzshaw Explorer
    Hello

What you are describing is a requirement for a SSO solution, and oracle provide a SSO solution integrated with eBiz :)

If you are hand crafting some bespoke solution, the chances are you will expose your login to additional security risks, so do be thoughtful about what you are trying to do and specifically how to make it a secure solution.

What is the business requirement, are you trying to make calls between applications or are you just trying to save typing in your username and password ?

Mike
  • 10. Re: Create an EBS Session
    Hi,

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I understand the best approach will be a Single Sign On with EBIZ. However, the business doesn't want to add or introduce any kind of new tool to accomplish the SSO. As a developer, I will need to find the best way to do this. Reading and reading just led me to the same place, how to integrate external applications to EBS but no how to integrate EBS with external applications. So I guess one solution could be using EBS as main authentication provider and then, propagate the session to my ADF application.

The ironic thing is that my ADF application is using EBSPROVIDER in the weblogic security realm. I am about to give up because even If I find the way to, for example, login via Java and then launch the browser with the session in it, I don't think its going to be a secure application. I just wanted to make sure SSO is the only approachable solution and how many tools do I need to implement this.

Thanks
  • 11. Re: Create an EBS Session
    mzshaw Explorer
    It would be worth checking out the "E-Business Suite SDK for Java" (https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/new_version_of_e_business) as this might be useful here ?

regards

Mike

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points