2 Replies Latest reply: May 10, 2013 1:21 PM by 1008092 RSS

Loading Address data for Geocoding

Hello All,

Apologies if this has already been asked, but my searches didn't uncover anything.

In the notes from the Oracle Spatial course, it mentions that reference data for geocoding can either be purchased from Oracle partners (such as NAVTEQ), or created by users using the schema published by Oracle (it also mentions three metadata tables which don't feature in the Oracle Spatial User Guide, but that's a different question).

My question is: where can I find this schema for the geocoding reference data?

I ask because I have been tasked with loading a georeferenced address-set ("Pointer" from OS Northern Ireland) into Oracle for geocoding purposes, and I'm just getting my head round how complicated this might be.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Andy Chamberlain
        • 1. Re: Loading Address data for Geocoding
          Section 5 of the Spatial Users Guide and Reference (http://www.oracle.com/pls/db102/portal.portal_db?selected=7) has (some) details of the GeoCoder.

Loading your own data can be tricky - I recently loaded some for England and it was a tough project.

When it comes to creating "parser profiles" and "country profiles" you'll need to run this script : $OH/md/admin/sdogcprs.sql which will create profiles for all the supported countries. (hopefully Ireland will be in the list, if not it is possible to "hack" an existing profile - I did this for England).

Let me know if you have any more questions.
          • 2. Re: Loading Address data for Geocoding
            Hi Steve. I'm trying to load my own data to geocode El Salvador adresses. Currently I can only search for POIs. When I do a query for street address I only get null. Can you please give me some hints on how you got it working.

Frank Fica