4 Replies Latest reply: May 25, 2013 1:57 AM by ;) ApPsMasTi ;) RSS

How to monitor and manage apps_undots1?

arizuddin
      Hi
      Our Production ERP single node instance (Apps: 12.0.6,DB: 10.2.0.3 & OS: AIX 5.3.7) is running since 4 (almost) years. The database was behaving perfectly. Since last week i am observing that 'apps_undots1' is growing rapidly. It has 2 datafiles of size 7Gb each. Day before yesterday, i have added one datafile of 7GB but today it shows as full. What causing the apps_undots1 to grow so rapidly? What precaution to be taken?

Please shed some light?

Regards
      Arizuddin
        • 1. Re: How to monitor and manage apps_undots1?
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle
          Please see the following docs.

Full UNDO Tablespace In 10gR2 [ID 413732.1]
          How to Manage Problem of UNDO Tablespace Reaching 100% of its Capacity [ID 1335964.1]
          Troubleshooting ORA-30036 - Unable To Extend Undo Tablespace [ID 460481.1]
          Automatic Tuning of Undo_retention Causes Space Problems [ID 420525.1]

If you don't see any ORA-XXXXX errors in the database log file (especially ORA-01555) then you should be fine and there is nothing else to do.

Thanks,
          Hussein
          • 2. Re: How to monitor and manage apps_undots1?
            ;) ApPsMasTi ;)
            Hi Ariz,
            arizuddin wrote:
            Hi
            Our Production ERP single node instance (Apps: 12.0.6,DB: 10.2.0.3 & OS: AIX 5.3.7) is running since 4 (almost) years. The database was behaving perfectly. Since last week i am observing that 'apps_undots1' is growing rapidly. It has 2 datafiles of size 7Gb each. Day before yesterday, i have added one datafile of 7GB but today it shows as full. What causing the apps_undots1 to grow so rapidly? What precaution to be taken?
            AFAIK since 10gR2 onwards, undo tablespace will always be full what ever size it may be .
            MOS Doc 413732.1 - Full UNDO Tablespace In 10gR2
            this is normal behavior.

Correct me if Im wrong

Do you see any error in the alert log file ?

AppsmAsti
            Sharing is Caring
            • 3. Re: How to monitor and manage apps_undots1?
              arizuddin
              Hi
              No errors in alert_log.
              • 4. Re: How to monitor and manage apps_undots1?
                ;) ApPsMasTi ;)
                arizuddin wrote:
                Hi
                No errors in alert_log.
                Hi Ariz,

As long as the instance is up and all the service are running fine and you don't see any ORA-300X related errors in log files you don't need to worry about UNDO size

;) APPsMAsti ;)
                Sharing is Caring