This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 1:33 PM by user11188564 RSS

Using Backup at Primrary to Create Standby

user11188564 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have a backup(image copy) of the primrary database that is a day behind - Take a full image copy on Day 1 and merge with the daily incremental backup (using the block change tracking). In the primary database I have a few partitioned tables - partitioned by date. Every day the partitions which are more than a week old are marked as READ ONLY.

I would like to clone the standby database using this backup - copy only the R/W tablespaces (i.e. not copy the READ only partitions) , restore the standby and start the replication. The copy and restore of the READ only partitions is deferred till the replication is started - to minimize the loss.

Are there any potential problems with this approach. If the steps are available I will really appreciate that.

Rittick
  • 1. Re: Using Backup at Primrary to Create Standby
    CKPT Guru
    user11188564 wrote:
    I have a backup(image copy) of the primrary database that is a day behind - Take a full image copy on Day 1 and merge with the daily incremental backup (using the block change tracking). In the primary database I have a few partitioned tables - partitioned by date. Every day the partitions which are more than a week old are marked as READ ONLY.

I would like to clone the standby database using this backup - copy only the R/W tablespaces (i.e. not copy the READ only partitions) , restore the standby and start the replication. The copy and restore of the READ only partitions is deferred till the replication is started - to minimize the loss.

Are there any potential problems with this approach. If the steps are available I will really appreciate that.

Rittick
    Here i got some information for you, Check page no 12 of http://www.oracle.com/au/products/database/s281211-fnf-132193.pdf

>
    Backup RO tablespaces only once:

backup as compressed backupset incr
    emental level 0 diskratio=0 tag
    EDOC_backup_Tz_17_JUL_2006
    filesperset 5 tablespace
    PRELIM_XML_2006_Q2 ;

Use RMAN Level 0 and Level 1 Compressed skip RO to backup database:

backup as compressed backupset incremental
    level 0 skip readonly diskratio=0 tag
    EDOCPRD1_backup_0z_full_101406 f
    ilesperset 5 (database) ;

Restore the database first

RMAN restore database/switch datafile all;

Restore RO tablespaces ahead of time and RMAN catalog/switch afterward

In a RAC environment, shutdown other ASM instances during restore

Do not restore mutilple RO tablespaces concurrently

Do allocate multiple RMAN channels
  • 2. Re: Using Backup at Primary to Create Standby
    user11188564 Newbie
    I want to use a image copy & not a backupset - Also, I want to use an existing backup not create anew one for restoring the standby.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points