This discussion is archived
11 Replies Latest reply: May 27, 2013 8:40 PM by Avi Miller RSS

OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot

977142 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I installed OEL 6.4 on a VirtualBox VM. The installation was successful and the OS booted up to the desktop properly. I exported the VM from VirtualBox as an OVA file. I imported the OVA file to Oracle VM as an assembly. I created a VM Template from the OVA file. I cloned a VM from the VM Template in OVM. I started the OEL 6.4 VM. The grub menu shows up and 3 sliding bars run through to finish. Just as the desktop begins to show on the screen, different screens flash for about 20 seconds and then it stops with a haze on the screen. There is nothing readable on the screen. A CTRL+ALT+DELETE shows green bars under the haze indicating successful shutdown operations. Something is getting corrupted during the trip from VirtualBox to OVM. Any ideas that I can try?
  • 1. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    Avi Miller Guru
    974139 wrote:
    Just as the desktop begins to show on the screen, different screens flash for about 20 seconds and then it stops with a haze on the screen. There is nothing readable on the screen. A CTRL+ALT+DELETE shows green bars under the haze indicating successful shutdown operations. Something is getting corrupted during the trip from VirtualBox to OVM. Any ideas that I can try?
    Not sure why you're expecting the desktop to startup as an Oracle VM guest: it has no real video card. You need to reset the X configuration from VirtualBox. Or just disable the desktop completely on the console (because the VNC console is limited to 800x600 anyway) and use VNC to the guest.
  • 2. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    977142 Newbie
    I expect the OEL 6.4 Desktop to start up because if I load up an OEL 6.4 VM in OVM, then the desktop does work. Do you have useful advise on what might be getting corrupted with the boot/desktop process? I am well aware of VNC and how to use it. Furthermore, the VM doesn't boot up far enough in OVM to make a network connection, which eliminates using VNC until I get this problem solved.

Edited by: 974139 on May 27, 2013 8:12 PM
  • 3. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    Avi Miller Guru
    974139 wrote:
    Do you have useful advise on what might be getting corrupted with the boot/desktop process?
    Nothing's corrupted: the VM is using the X configuration set by VirtualBox, which won't work on Oracle VM. You didn't mention whether you installed the VirtualBox Guest Additions, but those would need to be removed. You'd also need to review the /etc/X11/xorg.conf or just remove it completely and let X rediscover the new devices.
  • 4. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    Avi Miller Guru
    974139 wrote:
    Furthermore, the VM doesn't boot up far enough in OVM to make a network connection, which eliminates using VNC until I get this problem solved.
    The VM is probably booting completely. However, if the MAC address of the NIC has changed (which it will have done, given the process you've described) then it won't have started properly, as the system will be looking for the original NIC from VirtualBox. Why not boot into single-user mode at the GRUB prompt and solve your networking issue first?
  • 5. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    977142 Newbie
    I did not install the VBox Guest Additions. I'll try removing the /etc/X11/xorg.conf and see if that works. Thank you for the suggestion.
  • 6. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    977142 Newbie
    How do I boot into single-user mode from Grub?
  • 7. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    Avi Miller Guru
    974139 wrote:
    How do I boot into single-user mode from Grub?
    https://access.redhat.com/site/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/ap-rescuemode.html#s1-rescuemode-booting-single
  • 8. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    977142 Newbie
    I booted into single-user mode and edited the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0. I removed the HWADDR reference and rebooted. The box does come far enough now to connect with VNC or a remote shell.

There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in either the VBox OEL6.4 VM or in the OVM OEL6.4. I have the following files/directories in /etc/X11:

d applink
    d fontpath.d
    f prefdm
    d xinit
    f Xmodmap
    d xorg.conf.d
    f Xresources

Any other ideas come to mind?
  • 9. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    Avi Miller Guru
    974139 wrote:
    There is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in either the VBox OEL6.4 VM or in the OVM OEL6.4. I have the following files/directories in /etc/X11:
    No idea. I've never tried to run X on an Oracle VM guest directly. I've always just used VNC (or our VDI products like Sun Global Desktop).
  • 10. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    977142 Newbie
    Ok...thanks. I'm going to load up the VM with VNC config and see if that will work. As you eluded to previously, I can't use the desktop from the OVM console anyway. I just hope that VNC works... ;-)

Edited by: 974139 on May 27, 2013 8:43 PM
  • 11. Re: OEL 6.4 Desktop won't boot
    977142 Newbie
    The fix turned out to be reconfiguring Xorg.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points