8 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 5:19 AM by 1010036 RSS

3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod

Hi,

We have a setup of 3 standby and one prod. Can i make a setup or some parameter so that when a failover haapens any one of the Standby database would be chosen for failover. i mean all would be in sync but prod will identify any one to be nect prod and then we will go for manual failover or switch owver. although i know that i can choose any one of the 3 standby as next prod but that decision should be taken by prod by doing any setting.

Regards
      ID
        • 1. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
          rarain
          Hi,

When failure happens at primary site how dead prod would be able to select one of Standby for failover. I think you are looking for something automatic failover for this you need to setup Data Guard Broker and you also have to enable FAST_START Failover configuration for the broker but here you have to specify your target failover standby database which will be choosen by broker when Failover condition meets.

Refer the below documentation to setup the broker and how to enable FAST_START Failover for broker configuration.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17023/cli.htm#DGBKR3430

Thanks
          • 2. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
            Mahir M. Quluzade
            Hi,
            1007033 wrote:
            Hi,

We have a setup of 3 standby and one prod. Can i make a setup or some parameter so that when a failover haapens any one of the Standby database would be chosen for failover.
            If you are using Broker Managed Data Guard Configuration, there have parameter FastStartFailoverTarget for multi physical syandby database
            DGMGRL> edit database <primary>' set property faststartfailovertarget='<standby1>';
            i mean all would be in sync but prod will identify any one to be next prod and then we will go for manual failover or switch owver.
            although i know that i can choose any one of the 3 standby as next prod but that decision should be taken by prod by doing any setting.
            If you are using manually management, then you can chose any one of standby database manually.

If prod is changed, then you must set corrert FAL_SERVER, FILENAME_CONVERT standby database parameters for new primary.

Regards
            Mahir M. Quluzade
            • 3. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
              rarain
              Hi,

When the failure happens at production site how dead prod would be able to select one of standby for failover. I think you are looking something for automatic failover for this you need to setup data guard broker configuration and you also have to enable FAST_START FAILOVER configuration but here you have to define target failover standby database which will be choosen by Data Guard Broker for failover when any of failover condition meets depending on the FAST_START FAILOVER configuration.

Refer the below link which will guide you how to setup the broker and how to enable FAST_START FAILOVER configuration for the broker.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e17023/cli.htm#DGBKR3430

Thanks
              • 4. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
                Thanks for the information,

However i would like to know that is there any parameter in Prod which we can set so that it knows that ok standby2 will be next primary and after production is down i would make that standby as production manually.

Regards
                ID
                • 5. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
                  Mahir M. Quluzade
                  If you are not using Broker not any parameter like FastStartFailoverTarget.
                  Because you will make manually fail over to standby and it is depend your decide.

Regards
                  Mahir M. Quluzade
                  • 6. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
                    Thanks Mark,

Just to be absoultely sure there is no other way other than DATA gaurad broker that a production can say that ok standby 2 will be my next production.

Regards
                    ID
                    • 7. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
                      Mahir M. Quluzade
                      1007033 wrote:
                      Thanks Mark,
                      May name is Mahir :)
                      >
                      Just to be absoultely sure there is no other way other than DATA gaurad broker that a production can say that ok standby 2 will be my next production.
                      Yes. Because FSFO feature have only on Data Guard Broker.

Regards
                      Mahir M. Quluzade

p.s. If your questions is answered, please mark answered on your thread, please, for clear forum!
                      • 8. Re: 3 standby 1 prod which standby will be prod
                        Thanks for the response it was really helpful.