3 Replies Latest reply: May 28, 2013 7:42 AM by Kgronau-Oracle RSS

DB links Oracle to Sql server

user13364785
      Hi All,

I am planning to create DB link from oracle to sql server 2005.

Please provide the doc for creating db link from oracle to sql server 2005 and also let me know is their any freeware to do the same.

Regards
        • 1. Re: DB links Oracle to Sql server
          Kgronau-Oracle
          It would be helpful if you could mention which platform your Oracle database is running on and which word size the OS is (32/64bit).

The free solution would be to use the Database Gateway for ODBC (=Dg4ODBC) and install it on a MS Windows platform or on Linux 64bit as for these 2 platforms Microsoft offers a free ODBC driver. On all other platforms you have to purchase an suitable ODBC drivers from a 3rd party vendor like DataDirect. I know, some people here on the Forum are using FreeTDS but this driver is not a good choice when using it in production.

Starting with the documents where you can build up a database link without additional costs:

Please have a look at the documents available on My Oracle Support portal:
          How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on 64bit Windows Operating Systems to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install [ID 1266572.1]
          How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install [ID 466225.1]
          and
          How to Configure DG4ODBC (Oracle Database Gateway for ODBC) on Windows 32bit to Connect to Non-Oracle Databases Post Install [ID 466225.1]

As mentioned for other platforms you commonly have to purchase a 3rd party ODBC driver and depending on the licensing costs this 3rd party ODBC driver might be more expensive the using Oracle's commercial product, the Database Gateway for MS SQl Server. It is designed for MS SQl Server connections and much more powerful then DG4ODBC - for example it allows you to call remote SQL Server stored procedures or to participate in distributed transaction.
          Documents about DG4MSQl can be found also on Oracle's support portal.

- Klaus
          • 2. Re: DB links Oracle to Sql server
            user13364785
            Hi,

I am using below configuration

Oracle version 11.2.0.3
            OS version aix 6.1 64 bit

sql server 2005 and OS windows 64 bit
            • 3. Re: DB links Oracle to Sql server
              Kgronau-Oracle
              Again, you could install the gateway on your Oracle database machine or on any other platform. As you're mentioning you want a solution for free I would recommend to install the Database Gateway for ODBC on the SQl Server machine and use it with the MS SQl Server ODBC driver for 64bit Windows. Sure, you can also install DG4ODBC on Linux and use the MS SQL Server ODBC driver for Linux or you also use Dg4ODBC on AIX which would then require an ODBC driver from a 3rd party vendor. Believe me, FreeTDS works in general, but it is not the best solution for a production env so when you plan to use DG4ODBC on AIX you also have to purchase an ODBC driver. In a couple of cases the license for this 3rd party ODBC driver exceeded the costs for Oracle's commercial Database Gateway for MS SQL Server.

- Klaus