4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 26, 2013 12:30 PM by "Andrei Costache, Oracle-Oracle" RSS

Apache Gora support for Oracle NoSQL datastore

Apostolis
      Hello all,

I would like to inform you that one of the projects of this year's Google Summer of Code involves the integration of Apache Gora with the Oracle NoSQL.

The Apache Gora open source framework provides an in-memory data model and persistence for big data. Gora supports persisting to column stores, key value stores, document stores and RDBMSs, and analyzing the data with extensive Apache Hadoop MapReduce support. Apache Gora currently supports Apache Accumulo, Avro, Cassandra, HBase and Amazon's DynamoDB. The overall goal for Gora is to become the standard data representation and persistence framework for big data.

Being the student that wrote the project proposal, I will work on a module for the Apache Gora framework that will provide full integration with the Oracle NoSQL database.

You can find more information about this project in the following URL:
      http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/project/google/gsoc2013/apgiannakidis/15001

I would be very happy to learn your opinion on this project and your ideas.

Best regards,
      Apostolos
        • 1. Re: Apache Gora support for Oracle NoSQL datastore
          thegreeneman
          Hi Apostolos,

Awesome, you know this is so funny, but literally today, I was just bringing the Gora project up within our PM team.
          We think this is a great project and initiative to get a common abstraction on the range of stores available in the NoSQL space.

If you can ping me directly, I would like to keep in touch with your work and guide you along if you get stuck on implementation.
          Ping me at robert.c.greene AT oracle DOT com

Cheers,
          -Robert
          • 2. Re: Apache Gora support for Oracle NoSQL datastore
            Apostolis
            Hello Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply!

I am really glad that you find this project useful!

Your offer to provide me help on the implementation if I get stuck is very generous and is much appreciated. We will keep in touch!

Cheers,
            Apos
            • 3. Re: Apache Gora support for Oracle NoSQL datastore
              Apostolis

Hello all,

Could you inform me if there is any publicly available Maven artifact that we could use in order to use Oracle NoSQL as a dependency? If there isn't any, could you please let me know if the current licence (GNU AGPLv3) allows us to distribute the kvclient.jar along with the Apache Gora release?

Thank you for your support,

Apostolos Giannakidis

• 4. Re: Apache Gora support for Oracle NoSQL datastore
                "Andrei Costache, Oracle-Oracle"

Hi Apostolos,

No, there is no public Maven POM to allow Oracle NoSQL Database to be used as a dependency; we don't use Maven for NoSQL DB.

Regarding the distribution of the kvclient.jar, Open Source projects, in this case Apache Gora under the Apache License, can distribute Oracle NoSQL DB Community Edition (or components thereof) with their product.  They have to include the NoSQL DB license file as part of that distribution and explicitly list it in their list of dependent components/technology.  Sections 4, 5 and 6 of the license cover this.

Regards,

Andrei