4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 3:14 PM by Howard (... in Training) RSS

"Other" category in charts

switbeck
      Is there a way to prevent Apex from combining labels into an "other" category in the charts?

Thanks,
      -Steve
        • 1. Re: "Other" category in charts
          Howard (... in Training)
          Steve,

Re:
          Is there a way to prevent Apex from combining labels into an "other" category in the charts?
          Whar verison(s) of APEX and Oracle are you using? What type of charts are you using: bar, pie, doughnut, gauge?

Regards,
          Howard
          • 2. Re: "Other" category in charts
            switbeck
            I'm using 4.1 and I'm creating a pie chart.
            • 3. Re: "Other" category in charts
              switbeck
              I figured it out. I had to increase the max number of rows under the chart series.
              • 4. Re: "Other" category in charts
                Howard (... in Training)
                I assume you found all APEX/AnyChart documentation that I did - NONE! I did find a few (2) references to this feature in other charting tools.

I was able chart 14 data points (SAL) from the sample EMP table. When I went to, say, 16 datapoints, the chart changed to use "other". How many data points do you have?

I don't think you can get around -- i.e., turn off -- this feature. But, perhaps you can manage it. More than about 15 slices is too many for me to deal with in a pie anyway. (Have to watch my weight!)

Re (above): "I figured it out. I had to increase the max number of rows under the chart series." Oh, good for you.

Here's another approach. You determine what's going to be in the "other" category.

In my case, I would change the typical query from
                SELECT NULL LINK,
                       ENAME LABEL,
                       SAL VALUE
                FROM   EMP
                ORDER  BY ENAME
                to
                SELECT NULL LINK,
                       ENAME LABEL,
                       SAL VALUE
                FROM   EMP
                WHERE SAL > 2000
                UNION
                SELECT NULL LINK,
                       'OTHER' LABEL,
                       SUM(SAL) VALUE
                FROM   EMP
                WHERE NVL(SAL,0) < 2000
                Of course, "OTHER" sorts alpabetically. Perhaps you can formualte a more sophisticated query to order the "labels" the way you want.

Just an idea.

Howard