This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2013 1:14 PM by Howard (... in Training) RSS

"Other" category in charts

switbeck Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Is there a way to prevent Apex from combining labels into an "other" category in the charts?

Thanks,
-Steve
  • 1. Re: "Other" category in charts
    Howard (... in Training) Pro
    Steve,

Re:
    Is there a way to prevent Apex from combining labels into an "other" category in the charts?
    Whar verison(s) of APEX and Oracle are you using? What type of charts are you using: bar, pie, doughnut, gauge?

Regards,
    Howard
  • 2. Re: "Other" category in charts
    switbeck Newbie
    I'm using 4.1 and I'm creating a pie chart.
  • 3. Re: "Other" category in charts
    switbeck Newbie
    I figured it out. I had to increase the max number of rows under the chart series.
  • 4. Re: "Other" category in charts
    Howard (... in Training) Pro
    I assume you found all APEX/AnyChart documentation that I did - NONE! I did find a few (2) references to this feature in other charting tools.

I was able chart 14 data points (SAL) from the sample EMP table. When I went to, say, 16 datapoints, the chart changed to use "other". How many data points do you have?

I don't think you can get around -- i.e., turn off -- this feature. But, perhaps you can manage it. More than about 15 slices is too many for me to deal with in a pie anyway. (Have to watch my weight!)

Re (above): "I figured it out. I had to increase the max number of rows under the chart series." Oh, good for you.

Here's another approach. You determine what's going to be in the "other" category.

In my case, I would change the typical query from
    SELECT NULL LINK,
           ENAME LABEL,
           SAL VALUE
    FROM   EMP
    ORDER  BY ENAME
    to
    SELECT NULL LINK,
           ENAME LABEL,
           SAL VALUE
    FROM   EMP
    WHERE SAL > 2000
    UNION
    SELECT NULL LINK,
           'OTHER' LABEL,
           SUM(SAL) VALUE
    FROM   EMP
    WHERE NVL(SAL,0) < 2000
    Of course, "OTHER" sorts alpabetically. Perhaps you can formualte a more sophisticated query to order the "labels" the way you want.

Just an idea.

Howard

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points