This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 4:47 AM by LANCERIQUE RSS

SCAN configuration on VMWARE

LANCERIQUE Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi Gurus,

Need your help for SCAN ip configuration. I went through different documentation and blogs but still my issue seems un-resolved.

I am having 2 nodes on VMWARE - 5.3 with ESXI. Everything is setup but we are facing issue with SCAN configuration. As suggested by Documents/blogs/MOS (1107295.1/887522.1), we asked our DNS team to provide the three scan ip address which should get resolved.

Our DNS team says that they have done so but still SCAN-IP's are not reachable/pingable.

Also, nslookup to my scan ips fails.

[ora11g@inpudicrmrdbuat1 grid]$ nslookup cramuat-scan
;; connection timed out; trying next origin
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

I have tried everything but no luck. Is there any setting we need to make on VMWARE so that this SCAN should work. Please help.

Regards,
Nikhil Mehta.
  • 1. Re: SCAN configuration on VMWARE
    FreddieEssex Pro
    Is your linux server configured to use DNS?

Is /etc/resolv.conf populated correctly?

Can you do a nslookup from another machine on the network and does it return the desired results?

This isn't a SCAN issue but is a network related issue. Also check if you can reach your DNS server from you VM.
  • 2. Re: SCAN configuration on VMWARE
    LANCERIQUE Newbie
    Hi Freddie,

Thanks for your quick response.

Is your linux server configured to use DNS? If you could please let me know how to check this. We have RHEL 6.3. configured.

Is /etc/resolv.conf populated correctly?
    We have made DNS server entry in /etc/resol.conf and DNS server is reachable.

Can you do a nslookup from another machine on the network and does it return the desired results?
    Yes. for eg.. the same configuration works from a non-VM server.

Regards,
    Nikhil Mehta.
  • 3. Re: SCAN configuration on VMWARE
    FreddieEssex Pro
    Hi,

If your /etc/resolv.conf contains the IP's of your DNS server and you can reach them, then you might have another issue. This should be the only file you need to configure on the client. Probably worth checking there are no typos in this file or perhaps copy directly from another client which does work.

Could be firewall config on your VM maybe?

You might have more luck on a linux forum rather than here.
  • 4. Re: SCAN configuration on VMWARE
    LANCERIQUE Newbie
    Freedie,

Thanks again.

We have already raised case with Redhat and Vmware.

There is no firewall as such. We have copied the file directly from server.

I am suspecting any setting from VMWare end (DNS) which can be a culprit. If anyone can help me with VMware SCAN configuration.

Regards,
    Nikhil Mehta.
  • 5. Re: SCAN configuration on VMWARE
    LANCERIQUE Newbie
    Hi All,

Issue was resovled by opeing port 53 for UDP to and fro from dns to our servers.

Thanks everyone for the support.

Regards,
    Nikhil Mehta.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points