This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 10:11 AM by Dude! Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
    nitesh K Journeyer
    Currently Being Moderated
    Thank u so much Billy Verreynne

Nitesh
  • 16. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
    Dude! Guru
    For the purpose of software development and education I would always prefer to use a virtual machine, which makes life a lot easier in case you need to quickly recover your work or want to clone a machine for testing. For instance Oracle VM VirtualBox, which is free. It will allow you to install any primary OS you desire, or whatever works best for your hardware or work environment.
  • 17. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Dude wrote:
    For the purpose of software development and education I would always prefer to use a virtual machine, which makes life a lot easier in case you need to quickly recover your work or want to clone a machine for testing. For instance Oracle VM VirtualBox, which is free. It will allow you to install any primary OS you desire, or whatever works best for your hardware or work environment.
    Agree with the education part. But developing in a VM because you need to recover quickly, says more about your haxor crashing skills than software engineering skills. :-)

I would not do actual s/w development in a VM... too clunky. What I do do though is fire up a server VM on my development desktop for testing my s/w deployment to a server platform. That way you do not need to deal with conflicting requirements and other developers wanting to do similar tests on a dev server.
  • 18. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
    Dude! Guru
    It depends on what you are doing and used to. Linux, regardless of which distribution, is not my favorite desktop system. Linux as a desktop system falls short in many applications, graphical user desktop and interface aspects, and I'm not talking about jingle bells. Virtualization provides me the freedom and convenient tools to install and do whatever I opt to.
  • 19. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE
    Dude wrote:
    Linux as a desktop system falls short in many applications, graphical user desktop and interface aspects, and I'm not talking about jingle bells
    Well, 469 million Android users disagree that Linux is not a capable graphics platform.. :-)
  • 20. Re: reg: SVN client for oracle linux
    Dude! Guru
    Who said that Linux was not a capable graphics platform?
1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points