This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2013 2:54 AM by 887852 RSS

Oracle VM 3.2.2 on HP Gen 8

1008268 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Good evening All,

I am trying to install OVM 3.2.2 on an HP Gen 8 DL 380, and failing as the install does not see any drives to install on. Obviously it doesn't like my RAID controlled. I have since read that the GEN 8 is not officially supported by oracle (which is odd since the Gen8 has been around for quite a while).

I would like to know whether these is a workaround that I can use to get the install to work? Can I install a newer version of the Enterprise linux and the compile the OVM source on the setup? Any advice would greatly be appreciated as I am planning to move all my VM's from ESXi to Oracle.

Regards,

Rudolf
  • 1. Re: Oracle VM 3.2.2 on HP Gen 8
    1008268 Newbie
    Hi All,

A point in the right direction would greatly be appreciated. :) I am new to commercial linux platforms, having always been using Centos and Debian. Is there any way to get the OVM Server running on a different linux platform that does support the HP Gen 8?

Kind Regards,

Rudolf
  • 2. Re: Oracle VM 3.2.2 on HP Gen 8
    user11391721 Newbie
    1005265 wrote:
    Good evening All,

I am trying to install OVM 3.2.2 on an HP Gen 8 DL 380, and failing as the install does not see any drives to install on. Obviously it doesn't like my RAID controlled. I have since read that the GEN 8 is not officially supported by oracle (which is odd since the Gen8 has been around for quite a while).

I would like to know whether these is a workaround that I can use to get the install to work? Can I install a newer version of the Enterprise linux and the compile the OVM source on the setup? Any advice would greatly be appreciated as I am planning to move all my VM's from ESXi to Oracle.

Regards,

Rudolf
    Rudolf, I don't think you can install a newer version of Enterprise Linux and then compile the OVS on top of that. Are you using a SAN for Storage for the VMs? Have you tried booting from the SAN instead of local disk?

Please report back what you find as a solution as we were thinking of doing a Gen8 server or Blade and may end up with the same issue as you.
  • 3. Re: Oracle VM 3.2.2 on HP Gen 8
    1012873 Newbie
    @rudolf

you may download the HP P420 controller driver from HP website

Oracle Linux is binary compatible with RHEL/CENTOS - so the drivers must work

##############################

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=5193409&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=5193414&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=4103
    #####################
    Type:      Driver - Storage Controller
    Version:      3.2.0-4 (20 Mar 2013)
    Operating System(s):      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 Server (x86-64)
    (multi-part download)
    File name:      kmod-hpsa-3.2.0-4.rhel6u1.x86_64.rpm (44 KB)      
    File name:      kmod-hpsa-3.2.0-4.rhel6u2.x86_64.rpm (44 KB)      
    File name:      kmod-hpsa-3.2.0-4.rhel6u3.x86_64.rpm (45 KB)      
    File name:      kmod-hpsa-3.2.0-4.rhel6u4.x86_64.rpm (41 KB
  • 4. Re: Oracle VM 3.2.2 on HP Gen 8
    887852 Newbie
    I'm using HP BL460c Gen8 blade servers and OVM 3.2.2 without any problem. RAID controller is P220i and Oracle VM use hpsa driver. Which RAID controller does have your server?

Jan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points