This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 7, 2013 1:55 AM by WadhahDAOUEHI RSS

OVM 3.2.2 Disk issue hot to present luns to OVS

user9165910 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi All

I have a VM machine which will be using Oracle Gateway software, the Oracle Gateway software requires about 640GB for the OS and the other apps.

The customers SAN team can only present 32 , 64, 512 or 1024GB luns. They are reluctant to give out 1024GB but will present me with
3 Luns from the SAN array (FC)- 512GB + 64GB + 64GB = 640GB how can I present the 640GB to the Virtual Machine, what do I need to do on the
OVS Server, do I use software raid ie lvm and concatenate the luns together if so, how will OVS pick up the new concatenated lun?

Any ideas

Thanks in advance
Anup Nayyar
+44 7710314090
  • 1. Re: OVM 3.2.2 Disk issue hot to present luns to OVS
    WadhahDAOUEHI Journeyer
    Hi,
    To concatenate more than one lun with Oracle VM Manager to construct one lun is not possible at now, but you can add all 3 luns to your VM and if your VM based on (Oracle Linux or RedHat) so your VM use by default LVM and this is good and you can create one logical volume with 640GB.

I hope this can help you.
    Best Regards
  • 2. Re: OVM 3.2.2 Disk issue hot to present luns to OVS
    user12273962 Pro
    Tell your Storage team they need to go back to training. Or maybe, they haven't had training at all. I can't think of one SAN offering that can't concatenation the LUNS for you and present them a single volume. NOT ONE. We're talking about a decade old technology. Even so, their restriction on 32, 64, 512 and 1024 GB is self imposed. Its has nothing to do with technology limits.

Also, I hope your gateway software actually doesn't log anything. God forbid you want to grow past 640 GB.
  • 3. Re: OVM 3.2.2 Disk issue hot to present luns to OVS
    WadhahDAOUEHI Journeyer
    Hi,

Note: The disks on VMs under Oracle VM is shown like /dev/xvda, /dev/xvdb, .. this because Oracle VM Server is based on XEN.

I think, we have two possibility:

First, If your VM is installed from ISO image (RedHat, Oracle Linux), so by default the LVM is active and you can resize your disk partition (I tested it and works like a charm).

Second, If your VM is installed from Templates, so by default the LVM is not active and the system is using the physical disk directly (I installed a VM from Template and no LVM using; my Template is OracleLinux-5u8).

At this point i think is not possible to concatenate more than one disk, and if you have a solution for that. thinks to share it with us.

I hope this can help you
    Best Ragards.

Edited by: Wadhah DAOUEHI on Jun 7, 2013 9:53 AM

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points