This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    1004128 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

This is quite a change. Will take some time getting used to.

Haven't found anything which makes me like this new look. Like the fact that I can view my search history.

There are a few things I dislike though:

1. The whole "social" thing.
    2. Too much space being used to display information (this includes large fonts, text fields, reply boxes etc) which means that I have to scroll a lot.
    3. The focus seems to be more on displaying information in a better way rather than providing better ways to access it.
    4. I cannot get to associate my id with my username

The thing that I hate most, however, is that I have lost all my points. I agree they were not much, but I was a Journeyman earlier now I am a Newbie once again .

Appreciate the work done by Sonya and team. Hope the kinks get worked out soon.

Regards,

Sujoy

• 31. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JeromeFr Expert

Thanks for your answer Phil.

That's a good thing if following is by default turned on, people won't forget they asked a questions anymore . Unfortunately, after I replied this thread, it is not shown as followed. I got a "communication" showing that you answered but I got no mail (Preferences are set to "All activity").

Also is it possible to turn off this feature? I like it but I guess some people don't.

I hope the workaround for the website is temporary .

Ok for the points and the avatars.

One last thing : the links forwarding to a particular post inside a thread seem to be broken. I'll redirected towards the first post.

Regards,

JeromeFr

• 32. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE

-How can I filter to get Only Open Thread ?

-I didn't receive any Emails for thread i answered / or watching ?

• 33. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

JeromeFr wrote:

Thanks for your answer Phil.

That's a good thing if following is by default turned on, people won't forget they asked a questions anymore . Unfortunately, after I replied this thread, it is not shown as followed. I got a "communication" showing that you answered but I got no mail (Preferences are set to "All activity"). Is it possible to turn off this feature? I like it but I guess some people don't.

No idea, it's all new to me too.

I hope the workaround for the website is temporary .

Ok for the points and the avatars.

One last thing : the links forwarding to a particular post inside a thread seem to be broken. I'll redirected towards the first post.

Regards,

JeromeFr

Yep, the anchor tags don't seem to work, yet.

• 34. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Dude! Guru

There are so many interface gotchas, I'm only surprised and quite disappointed so far.

1. When clicking on "Use advanced editor", how do you go back to the "normal editor?". There is no button. Using the browser back button goes back to browsing and everything is lost. Using the forward button to go back to the message editor won't work, showing "Document expired".
    2. When replying a message, it shows the complete history of the post, which I was missing from the old interface. Using the "advanced editor" however does not show the thread history.
    3. How do I enter or format code?
    4. Is there a preview function before posting?
    5. It might be useful if the "Reply" button could show to whom it is replying to.
    6. How can I turn off rich text and apply formatting defaults when pasting text into the browser? For instance, I marked some blue text and it was pasted into the editor using the same font, size, style and color? It takes quite some effort to "normalize" the text.
    7. When pasting text, it removes newlines and does not recognize paragraphs.
    8. Where are all my previous thread watches?
    9. Sorry, I find the "Abstract" view, including the last reply in the thread listing of "Recent Activity" terrible. It is hard read and exhausting. It contains just too much obsolete information and makes it more difficult to distinguish one thread from another. The view is inefficient. The dynamic display of "preview, reply, like" buttons when moving the mouse pointer over a thread are not helpful.
    10. More than 50 % of the display is static information or empty space. The word "spaces" is ironic

Message was edited by: Dude

In regard to 9. I figured pressing the "Content" button next "Overview" brings back the usual or similar list view - at last! However, it is necessary to go back to "Overview" to select a different "Space".

• 35. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    ranit B Expert

Hi all,

I'm confused that - I like this forum or not (just like Aman is also confused)

Too many things packed and thrown to explore. A simple thing: the above smiley got created as soon as I typed a semicolon ';' followed by a closing round bracket ')'. Previously, it used to appear after the complete text was posted.

Few points :

1. Loved the "Browse" section (on top of this page) - esp the "Content" tab. It's so easy to track and later view the questions you asked (or) the posts to which you replied (or) even the posts which you just visited.

2. The "Like" button will also be useful in long run. It'll give an /*+ Hint */ that which posts are more useful for learning purpose.

3. The "Flat" look was better than this "Threaded". It's difficult to identify the last post.

The new look will take some time to get used to... but learning-wise & professionally speaking, I prefer the old one. Simple, text-based and so elegant look. This's more kind of a social-interaction platform, rich in UI.

Got some 886 points extra and actually speaking I'm not feeling good about it. As of now, I'm not yet worthy of holding 2046 (current) points.

And btw, how long this page will grow before the 'pagination' will come into action (if present)?

Thanks & Regards,

Ranit

• 36. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

You can opt for the flat view in your preferences in the little drop down at the top right next to your user name.

• 37. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    ranit B Expert

Nice. Thanks PhHein.

1- Do we have any user-guide/manual for using the forum or atleast for the new features introduced?

2- How to post code? {code}tag doesn't seem to work{code}

• 38. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE

You need to Write You own manual

• 39. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Osama_Mustafa Oracle ACE

Reply is the Most Important part It's make you Confused

• 40. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

No idea about code.

• 41. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

Sometime, I have tag insert >> (sql, html...), sometime not.

Where's the quote option ?

Nicolas.

PS: actually, wehen I edit my post, I have more option than when I reply.

Message was edited by: NicolasGasparotto

• 42. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

NicolasGasparotto wrote:

Sometime, I have tag insert >> (sql, html...), sometime not.

Where's the quote option ?

Nicolas.

PS: actually, wehen I edit my post, I have more option than when I reply.

Message was edited by: NicolasGasparotto

Yep the editor behaves completely different when editing in the preview to editing in the thread itself.

• 43. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

Bhabani wrote:

Aman, go to activity tab and click on change avtar to the right side of page . Select one image from image pool. I am not able to save the changes i did in profile section.

Where's the "activity" tab ?

Nicolas.

Never mind, I found it out. Message was edited by: NicolasGasparotto

• 44. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Bhabani wrote:

John that seems to be a big number.

I lost 264 points. I dont know how come my point is not multiple of 5 ( Current 2306) . Waiting for any response on this from Sonya or Blue.

Well, you're not going to get a response from me (apart from this response).

I'm a moderator, and nothing to do with the upgrade.

Interesting how many people were keeping an exact tally on the number of points they had, and now know how many they may have lost (or gained it seems!) as if the forum is going to fail to function without them .  I can only guess that it's because of threads or forums that have been removed as part of the upgrade, and the points related to those have possibly gone with them.  If that's the case I don't think there's going to be anything possible to rectify that.

1 2 3 4 5 28 Previous Next