This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 10, 2013 7:15 AM by Stefan Jager RSS

Oracle GDOSYS permission

Kod Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi! I am using Geomedia Professional and Oracle 11g database!

I can insert, update, add  tables from Geomedia, but I can't alter table( i can't add new column, change column name etc...).

What permission user need to have, to alter table from Geomedia?

• 1. Re: Oracle GDOSYS permission
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

Hi Kod,

If you try to add a column to a feature using GeoMedia, what is the error message you are getting? GeoMedia should give you the ORA-##### number if it is encountering one.

Secondly: GeoMedia will try to do two things if you use its interface to add a column to a table: It will try it in the schema itself, and it will try to update the metdadata it stores in the GDOSYS-schema. So you need to have sufficient rights on both schemas.

I can insert, update, add tables from Geomedia, but I can't alter table( i can't add new column, change column name etc...).

What exactly are you trying to do ad how? If you can add a table, you should be able to alter a table as well unless your priviliges are screwed. Can you give us a description of what it is you are trying to do and how you are doing it?

HTH,

Stefan

• 2. Re: Oracle GDOSYS permission
    Ivan Bush Journeyer

Kod,

This is probably the wrong place to post this request. You will get more success at:

http://geospatial.intergraph.com/community/

Regards,

Ivan

• 3. Re: Oracle GDOSYS permission
    Kod Newbie

Hi. Thanks for answering.

When I go to Warehouse->Feature Class definition

My EDIT button is disabled.

For example I create table and now when I try to alter it my EDIT button is disabled!

Thanks!

• 4. Re: Oracle GDOSYS permission
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

Hi Kod,

Did you try to add a feature class with Feature Class Definition (that's basically a create table statement)? Is your Connection Read-Only maybe? Does the user that you log in with have enough priviliges? Or did you create the table using SQL Plus or something like that? Is the user you created the table with the same as the user you are logging in with GeoMedia?

If you place an empty text file in your C:\Temp directory, called GORACLE.LOG. Restart GeoMedia, and try again. GeoMedia will then log everything it's communicating with Oracle in that text file, so you can probably see where and what is not correct.

HTH,

Stefan

@Ivan: I used to work for Intergraph, so I know GeoMedia quite well. It probably isn't the right forum, but I don't mind

• 5. Re: Oracle GDOSYS permission
    Kod Newbie

Thanks for answering.

Yes, all tables create with Feature Class Definition. Connection is not Read-only it's Read-Write.

What privileges user need to have on  GDOSYS schema, i think that this is problem?

User is owner of the database where is the table with spatial data.

• 6. Re: Oracle GDOSYS permission
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

Kod wrote:

What privileges user need to have on  GDOSYS schema, i think that this is problem?

That could very well be the problem, GeoMedia will detect that and then disable the Edit-button. The default is that PUBLIC is granted select, insert, update and delete on all objects in GDOSYS.

So check your user for these rights, and if the user does not have them grant them. Then try again.

Regards,

Stefan

PS: Below is the full list:

By default; SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE,  and DELETE privileges are granted to PUBLIC for ALL GDOSYS objects.

You can remove public and apply privileges to specific users.

When assigning privileges, keep the following in mind:

- All Oracle users require SELECT on all GDOSYS objects

- For Read-Only users, SELECT is sufficient.

- Admin users (Object creators) require INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE on all tables and UPDATE and ALTER on all sequences.

- Data editors require INSERT, UPDATE, on MODIFICATIONLOG and MODIFIEDTABLES.