This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 5 6 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    mathieu.d Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

First thanks for the new design. It's cool to have some change once in a while.

I was using, with the previous forum, a feature that enabled me to browse all the post inside the sub-sections of "SOA & Process Management".

But now, the recent activity of the parent section stay empty. I have to enter each sub-section to see the related post.

Did I do something wrong or is the feature not supplied anymore ?

regards,

mathieu

• 46. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

amakitalo wrote:

My, first impression is, just an other site which has been upgraded/improved and spoiled.

We will see if all users will abandon site.

Really?

It's not that much different apart from being a little more 'graphical'  It still has the threads, and it still has the ability to reply to them.  Not quite sure why you feel it's 'spoiled'.  Yes, it's got it's teething problems, but that's only to be expected with such a massive change.  I'm sure when we get looking into it more, we'll find the benefits of the new features that are enabled.

• 47. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

mathieu.d wrote:

Hi,

First thanks for the new design. It's cool to have some change once in a while.

I was using, with the previous forum, a feature that enabled me to browse all the post inside the sub-sections of "SOA & Process Management".

But now, the recent activity of the parent section stay empty. I have to enter each sub-section to see the related post.

Did I do something wrong or is the feature not supplied anymore ?

regards,

mathieu

Click the follow button at the top right of "SOA & Process Management". Then all activity will pop up in your dashboard.

• 48. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE

Maybe when it comes to Oracle and upgrades people were assuming it would go wrong and noted their points down

So how are some users points being massively inflated if it is down to posts being deleted, if the points thing is a mess or is not valid anymore then just remove it as it doesn't make any sense.

• 49. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

JohnGoodwin wrote:

Maybe when it comes to Oracle and upgrades people were assuming it would go wrong and noted their points down

So how are some users points being massively inflated if it is down to posts being deleted, if the points thing is a mess or is not valid anymore then just remove it as it doesn't make any sense.

As for how points got inflated I don't know, perhaps the points lost on some threads were randomly allocated to those in need?

I guess I just don't have the attachment to points to worry about it to the point of writing them down 'just in case'.... probably because, by losing or gaining points...  a) the world isn't going to end b) no lives are at risk c) the forum won't cease to work d) the answers to questions will not be any worse and b) if people are really bothered about points, they can keep using the forum and 'earn' some more. 

• 50. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Is there anywhere to set the number of posts per page?  Threads grow so quickly around here and it's horrible to have to switch between "pages".  We need at least 50 posts per page, but I can't find any setting in the preferences, like we used to have.

And talking of the "pages", if I reply to the end of the thread I get returned to the first page and have to then manually go to the last page again to see the latest posts.

Edit:

LOL! After making this post, the "page" numbers were showing as:

Hmmm, a slight glitch methinks.

• 51. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE

Might as well ditch the points then if it doesn't work anymore, how is this possible > 3004

Ahh I get it your points have been massively inflated from the old system, funny that, no wonder your not interested

• 52. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

BluShadow wrote:

And talking of the "pages", if I reply to the end of the thread I get returned to the first page and have to then manually go to the last page again to see the latest posts.

The url you get when posting a reply has the anchor, but it seems to be missing on the page source.

• 53. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Wes Fang Explorer

im curious to know if the new site is built using Oracle ADF Faces? What is the underlying technology? also, will there be a way to upload avatar image?

• 54. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Jive version 5(?)

I hope not, because we'll have a load of moderating to do then.

• 55. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

Any way to reduce/remove this big red frame on top of the page ? It's flashing light and hard for the eyes. This, forum title, and tabs (overview, content, people,subspaces..) are eating the half of my laptop's screen. Same for the left frames on every single page.

Funny enough, in the email notification, the banner is a big black one.

Nicolas.

• 56. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    992625 Newbie

What's up with the bold RED color; it is so eye shocking. Can we change it; any idea?

• 57. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Dude! Guru

JohnGoodwin wrote:

Might as well ditch the points then if it doesn't work anymore, how is this possible > 3004

That is just a nasty argument. Why did you not suggest to give everyone an anonymous profile - apparently names of users, etc., does not work or hasn't been fixed neither?

• 58. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BrianP Journeyer

I'll start with a few things I really like about the new forums.

1. The first forum post result I clicked on from a web search led to the correct post.  I know this took a lot of personal effort by Sonya and I greatly appreciate it.  So will numerous other people in the future that never knew the old forums.
    2. There does not appear to be any third-party user tracking/analytics in use, unlike the old forums. I like this.
    3. Preference to view discussions as flat or threaded.
    4. It looks better in Chrome on my tablet than it does in Firefox on my PC.

Now some things I don't quite like:

1. Navigation to subforums appears to be too deeply nested (e.g. Enterprise Management community contains Enterprise Manager space which contains several sub-spaces).  There appears to be no need for the extra layer, but the Technology Network Community one doesn't have this extra level so I presume it's configurable and will be cleaned up in time.
    2. I prefer the old behavior where viewing the posts in a top-level community displayed all the posts in the subforums.
    3. The difference between the "Follow" button and the "Track in Communications" button is not clear.
    4. I am unable to find the "hide" button to remove posts in forums that do not interest me from the stream on the Dashboard page.  Nor can I find the "matters most" button to flag those items in which I am interested.
    5. The "Other Community Sites" box seems like something that belongs on a separate page rather than at the top of every page viewed.
  • 59. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

JohnGoodwin wrote:

Ahh I get it your points have been massively inflated from the old system, funny that, no wonder your not interested

Have they? I couldn't say as I don't know what I had before.

1 2 3 4 5 6 28 Previous Next