This discussion is archived
1 3 4 5 6 7 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 60. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JohnGoodwin Oracle ACE
    Currently Being Moderated

BluShadow wrote:

JohnGoodwin wrote:

Might as well ditch the points then if it doesn't work anymore, how is this possible > 3004

Ahh I get it your points have been massively inflated from the old system, funny that, no wonder your not interested

Have they? I couldn't say as I don't know what I had before.

Only increased by 12,000 points, maybe 10,000 of them are what I lost   . what a successful migration..

Whether you care about points or not is not the issue. If you have a points system it needs to be fair and work or otherwise there is no point in it.

• 61. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BrianP Journeyer

BluShadow wrote:

Edit:

LOL! After making this post, the "page" numbers were showing as:

Hmmm, a slight glitch methinks.

I saw that too.

I'll also add that the syntax highlight function in the advanced editor has some quirks.  Trying to type into a "SQL" syntax highlighted area doesn't display any text, but moving out of the field and then selecting it with mouse cursor does display text.  Might lead to more typos.  But adding syntax highlighting to existing text seems to work.  Now that we have Oracle R Enterprise, R should be an option for syntax highlights.

• 62. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

JohnGoodwin wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

JohnGoodwin wrote:

Might as well ditch the points then if it doesn't work anymore, how is this possible > 3004

Ahh I get it your points have been massively inflated from the old system, funny that, no wonder your not interested

Have they? I couldn't say as I don't know what I had before.

Only increased by 12,000 points, maybe 10,000 of them are what I lost   . what a successful migration..

Whether you care about points or not is not the issue. If you have a points system it needs to be fair and work or otherwise there is no point in it.

Indeed.  I made a suggestion before the upgrade that I would be perfectly happy if they just reset everyone to 0 points and we all start again.  A suggestion that didn't go down too well with some (eh Dude ).

• 63. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JeromeFr Expert

Sorry for feeding the troll, but I don't think resetting everyone to 0 is "fair" solution (and that was the point of the previous post).

He spent an incredible amount of time in this forum and his contribution is helpful to a lot of users, a bit of gratefulness is not too much I think...

• 64. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Nicolas.Gasparotto Oracle ACE

I'd suggest to move that point discussion away from that very thread.

There's so many and more interesting area to discussion following the forum upgrade.

How can we have code formatting in a first place without editing ? Code formatting is just a mess, it removes all blank lines...

etc.

Nicolas.

• 65. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

And can I add the customisation for PL/SQL syntax highlighting? Do it in proper bvcase?

• 66. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    kendenny Expert

I can't copy/paste a reply. I have data on my clipboard but if I ctrl-V nothing happens. If I right click, I can see Paste as an option but when I click it nothing happens.

• 67. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

That sounds like a future enhancement Billy. 

• 68. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

> I can't copy/paste a reply. I have data on my clipboard but if I ctrl-V nothing happens. If I right click, I can see Paste as an option but when I click it nothing happens

Worked ok for me.

But if you want to quote, it's easier to reply to the relevant person and then click the quote button.

• 69. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    kendenny Expert

Dude wrote:

When pasting text, it removes newlines and does not recognize paragraphs.

Message was edited by: Dude

In regard to 9. I figured pressing the "Content" button next "Overview" brings back the usual or similar list view - at last! However, it is necessary to go back to "Overview" to select a different "Space".

For me when pasting text, nothing is pasted

• 70. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JaniceM Journeyer

While this is much more modern looking, there is one bit of useful functionality that seems to have gotten lost.

I regularly go through the latest Information Discovery forum posts to see if there's anything I can help answer. In the previous version of the forum, once you were looking at a particular thread, there were navigation links to display the next and previous threads.

It looks like this option has been removed. Now to get to the next or previous thread, you have to jump back out to the discussion list, then find and click the thread.

Any way to get the additional navigation back? It is extremely inconvenient to have to do all of that extra clicking and finding when reviewing the latest threads, rather than just clicking next or previous.

• 71. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    JeromeFr Expert

Another thing I miss from the older version is the name of the last user contributing to a thread. In the content view, under the latest activity, it would be nice to have the last poster name. Easier to check if posts were updated when you keep refreshing the same page (I've got a boring life, I know).

• 72. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Greg.Spall Expert

I noticed a brief mention of the SQL formatting above, but just wanted to add: is it possible to get the "Syntax highlighting" for SQL (at least?) to use a fixed proportional font? Nothing harder than to read code in a non-proportional font O_0

(even if it is prettied up with colors).

For example:

Using the built in SQL Syntaxer:

select *

select *
      from my_table
     where not in ( select 1 from some_table
                     where x = y );

(doesn't line up very well)

However:

select *

from my_table

where not in ( select 1 from some_table

where x = y );

does - but then it's not taking advantage of this nifty option to format SQL

• 73. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Points system.

I just awarded myself a correct answer (and 10 points) in Shortcuts when typing.

Awesome feature. Not.

• 74. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Jake Turrell Expert

I'm so disappointed in this new forum.  They way the points have been messed up is truly disrespectful to all of those who spend so many hours answering questions and building content.  The new layout is very difficult to read and scan for interesting content.  I'm all for change, but this is not an improvement.

1 3 4 5 6 7 28 Previous Next