This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2013 9:07 AM by Michael Ferrante (Oracle) RSS

WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2

RichardSquires Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
I have created a simple form with one text item and a WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK trigger attached to it. If I left click the item the trigger fires, but if I right click the item nothing happens, the trigger doesn't fire. Is it a bug? Can anyone confirm this? I found some old references to this not working but they are mostly 6i from years ago.

Thanks

Richard
  • 1. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    zaferaktan Explorer
    The only place I remember seeing the MOUSE EVENTS is a white paper entitled 'Oracle9i Forms - Migrating Client/Server To the Web', which I downloaded from Metalink way back when. In Section 3.3.1, the document states that and I am quoting:

'Some mouse events are not used in Forms on the web due to the amount of network traffic that would be generated:
    WHEN-MOUSE-MOVE
    WHEN-MOUSE-ENTER
    WHEN-MOUSE-LEAVE

Other mouse events work normally.'

Based on this one, the WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK trigger should work. Funny thing is that these events (listed above) are still available in iDS 10.1.2.0.2 ?

I have also another white paper from Peter Koletzke of Quovera, titled as 'Top Tips For Web-Deployed Forms' - paper 616, and in this document also only those 3 mouse events listed above are listed under the 'Triggers That Don't Fire' section.

I am hoping Grant or Frank will reply to this.
  • 2. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    user346369 Expert
    but if I right click the item nothing happens, the trigger doesn't fire.
    <p>I tried this in Forms 6i client/server and Web forms 10.1.2.0.1. On 6i, cursor does not move to the item right-clicked, but at least the trigger fires, and reports Mouse_button_pressed = 3. But on web forms (running on Windows XP) the trigger does NOT fire at all.

<p>I found this in the on-line help: "On Motif platforms pressing the right mouse button will not set the SYSTEM.MOUSE_BUTTON_PRESSED value." Does running under jinitiator make it a "Motif" platform???

<p>I, too, hope that Frank or Grant will reply to this.

<p> <br>And lastly, by the way: Looking at the on-line help, I learned that :System.mouse_button_modifiers replaces :System.mouse_button_shift_state.
  • 3. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    FrançoisDegrelle Oracle ACE
    Hello,

The right click is used to display popup menus.
    That is probably the reason why it does not fire the When-Mouse-Click trigger.

Francois
  • 4. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    452139 Newbie
    i beleive that mouse click means click on left button. right click is for popup menu as like in windows os
  • 5. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    myluism Newbie

So by that what do you mean?. That it cannot be used for anything else than popup menus?. Can´t i just write a trigger based on right click?.

Best regards, Luis ...

• 6. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    tony.g Journeyer

myluism,

You do release that you posted in a thread that is 8 years old???

>Can´t i just write a trigger based on right click?.

No, just on left click.

rgds
    Tony

• 7. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    myluism Newbie

well this is bad news for Forms users. For start, it tells me Oracle has not updated its documentation.

• 8. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    Michael Ferrante (Oracle) Guru Moderator

I just tested this in Forms 11.1.2.1 and it works fine.  Both left and right mouse click fire the WHEN-MOUSE-CLICKED trigger.  So likely this was a bug in the version you are using.  Are you aware that Forms 10 is no longer entitled to Error Correction?  The terminal patch for this version is 10.1.2.3 (patch ID 5983622).  I recommend to download and install this patch and retest.  If it still doesn't work, it may be time to upgrade to a current version like 11.1.2.1.

• 9. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    myluism Newbie

Sorry, i have not provided the exact information. I'm using forms 11g Rel2 (Forms [32 bits] Versión 11.1.2.0.0 (Producción)).

This is an old link i found related to the problem.

I guess problem should be solved downloading patch 5983622 or upgrading to 11.1.2.1 right?.

• 10. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    myluism Newbie

5983622 is for 10g.

• 11. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    myluism Newbie

In this case what is easier? Deinstall 11.1.2.0 or upgrade to 11.1.2.1? What dou you think?

• 12. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2

If you already have 11.1.2.0 installed, patching is fairly easy.  The patch ID for 11.1.2.1 is 15948641.  I would also recommend patching WLS to 10.3.6 if you haven't already done so.  This should be done before applying the 11.1.2.1 patch if you plan to do it.  You must have a minimum of WLS 10.3.5 installed before moving to 11.1.2.1.

The WLS 10.3.6 patch IDs are as follows:

• Generic Upgrade Installer (generally for 64bit WLS installations) - ID 13529623
    • Upgrade Installer for Linux 32-bit systems - ID 13529653
    • Upgrade Installer for Windows 32-bit systems - ID 13529639
    • Upgrade Installer for Solaris 32-bit systems - ID 13529649

As always, be sure to follow the included ReadMe or Installation Guide before starting any installation. 

• 13. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2

I think what I tested earlier was not exactly what you described.  Also, I discussed this with Development and they reminded me that the right mouse click action will not fire the WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK trigger if you have a pop-up menu attached to the item.

Development has corrected this problem.  Because version 10 is no longer entitled to Error Correction, we will not provide a fix for that version.  However, if you have a Support account, you can request a fix for the current versions which are 11.1.1.7 and 11.1.2.1.  Contact Support for more information. Be sure to provide the bug number I mentioned previously.

For anyone unaware, the feature would most often be used in a WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK trigger with code that looks something like this:

DECLARE

button_pressed VARCHAR(2);

BEGIN

button_pressed := :System.Mouse_Button_Pressed;

IF button_pressed = '1' THEN

message ('Button 1 pressed.');

ELSIF button_pressed = '2' THEN

message ('Button 2 pressed.');

ELSE

message ('Button 3 pressed.');

END IF;

END;

Message was edited by: MichaelFerrante(Oracle)

• 14. Re: WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK not working in  10.1.2.0.2
    myluism Newbie

I remind you i'm using forms 11g Rel2 (11.1.2.0). And the item has not pop-up menu attached.

If you have installed 11.1.2.1, can you test a form-level when-mouse-click on item (which has no pop-up menu) and see if it works?. I mean, it detects button 3 was pressed? That is all i need to know.

Filing fix request is fine but would take some time(if is accepted). Although i agree with current situation, i mean if right click is pressed on a item which has a pop-up menu attached, it should show the menu and do nothing else, not even fire WHEN-MOUSE-CLICK.

Regards, Luis ...:)

1 2 Previous Next