1 12 13 14 15 16 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 2:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
      • 195. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
        jgarry

Me too.  (20 25 minutes to login, nav here and push reply button, longer than I would normally spend actually doing something helpful on the site. ) (It says my name on the upper right of the page, but add reply tells me I'm no longer logged in, have to leave page unsaved... now pasting and trying again...)

• 196. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
          ATD

Even when I was typing the post, a bar appeared at the bottom of the screen - something about an error, but that's as far as I got before it disappeared, so I have no idea what the entire message was about

Clearly this software has not been tested by anyone

• 197. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
            gimbal2

Its probably more the server configuration than the software though. The old forum also used to break down much in the same way. Lets give the people some slack, putting new stuff in production is always a bumpy ride in the beginning.

• 198. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
              Kent Graziano

Just tried to update my profile but it would not save. No indication of why other than to check the form. I suspect oyu ahve a few more required fields that are not marked as required. Definitely needs better error messages.

• 199. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                Kent Graziano

I saw the same problem myself.

• 200. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                  ATD

I agree that the old software had issues (I recall, for example, the ejit who decided the "C" or maybe "S" was a naughty word and no one could post anything)

But that is no excuse for putting into production a system that does not work properly.  Also, whilst the old version had issues, it was fairly easy to use - this one needs a user guide and I can't find one (not even a list of "the old functionality 'xxx' is now 'yyy' and can be found at 'zzz'" sort of instructions.  Forums should be user-friendly otherwise users won't use it

Andy

• 201. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                    Kent Graziano

How do I get email notifications turned back on for a discussion forum?

• 202. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                      ATD

Under Preferences, it just says "Email notifications are currently disabled."

So, presumably, no one has that working?

• 203. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                        Hans Forbrich

Hi Sonya.

Just wondering what happened to the ACE Director icon?

/Hans

• 204. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                          PhHein

Hi Hans,

I bet that is Sonya's least problem right now.

Regards, Phil

• 205. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                            Paul M.

Is this really the best that Oracle could come up with?

I totally agree, and I'm very worried of that. We lost useful functionalities and we've got useless ones (if ever it works...)

Did Oracle ever test this one ?

And generally speaking, what are those "like", "follow" and so ? This is not a social network, but a technical forum, at least so I've always considered it.

If Oracle wants these fora to be a social network, then please let me know, since I don't like social networks at all, and I don't follow any of them.

• 206. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                              Billy~Verreynne

ATD wrote:

Even when I was typing the post, a bar appeared at the bottom of the screen - something about an error, but that's as far as I got before it disappeared, so I have no idea what the entire message was about

Clearly this software has not been tested by anyone

Clearly that is an idiotic and snide comment to make. What purpose does it serve?

As for the error while using the editor - maybe if you are not so negative and critical about the new forum, and accept that there is an initial learning curve, then you would have either noticed what the error said while editing, or seen that it has already been reported in Bug: Odd error when in editor

• 207. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                Wes Fang

not sure if its already been reported but "Stop tracking"  link does not appear to work.

• 208. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                  Billy~Verreynne

PaulM. wrote:

I totally agree, and I'm very worried of that. We lost useful functionalities and we've got useless ones (if ever it works...)

Disagree. We have lots of new functionality. That we are still getting to grips with. And even more functionality that is not yet enabled.

Did Oracle ever test this one ?

That is a nasty comment to make when Sonya did bother to update us with information about testing. And shifted the upgrade/migration date once or twice to bed down as many potential issues as possible.

Was testing perfect? I have yet to see testing done so well that a new major release is painless and without teething issues.

And generally speaking, what are those "like", "follow" and so ? This is not a social network, but a technical forum, at least so I've always considered it.

Even a technical forum is a community. Granted, this is not Facebook/MySpace/whatever - but basic social networking is becoming an integral feature of simply using any online service and application.

I think that most of these negative comments are based on emotional logic. Resistance to change can be mindlessly nasty. I have seen many upgrades like this one, on the Internet and in corporate networks, where the initial reaction is of the knee-jerk kind. Where criticism has complete disappeared after the upgrade has settled down and after understanding what the changes provide.

• 209. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                    Billy~Verreynne

WesFang wrote:

not sure if its already been reported but "Stop tracking"  link does not appear to work.

Yes it was.

We should have a bug list of sorts - but it seems that many such a report here in this thread gets swamped by mindless criticism...

1 12 13 14 15 16 Previous Next