2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 6:15 PM by alvaromiranda RSS

Oracle Linux 5.6 - Do I need to keep the xen kernel  ?

MarkE.LLoyd/DCT-Accenture

I am using the Oracle Linux 5.6 kernel 2.6.32-100.26.2.el5  also know as the UEK Release 1 in an OVM x86_64 environment.

Question: Since the Guests are paravirtualized and require Xen specifc I/O drives ( network, disk, etc. ) does that mean I need to keep the Xen kernel rpms, i.e.,

kernel-xen-2.6.18-238.0.0.0.1.el5
      kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-238.0.0.0.1.el5

and this entry in /boot/grub/grub.conf

title Oracle Linux Server (2.6.18-238.0.0.0.1.el5xen)
                root (hd0,0)
               kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-238.0.0.0.1.el5xen ro root=LABEL=/ numa=off
               initrd /initrd-2.6.18-238.0.0.0.1.el5xen.img

The main driver for this question is I am trying to determine if these rpms are accessed in any way when the UEK Release 1 is in use. If so, then I will need

to heed to the Security Scan results against the xen kernel version  otherwise I will ignore them and move forward.

Thanks

Mark E. LLoyd

Data Center Technology

Accenture

• 1. Re: Oracle Linux 5.6 - Do I need to keep the xen kernel  ?
          Dude!

The following is from the OL 6.5 release notes:

https://oss.oracle.com/el5/docs/RELEASE-NOTES-U6-en.html

Hardware virtualized guest with kernel-uek-2.6.32-100.35.1.el5uek and higher

Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel version kernel-uek-2.6.32-100.35.1 adds support for paravirtualized drivers in a harware virtualized guest on Oracle VM. Starting this kernel version hardware virtualized guests which are not configured to use paravirtualized drivers will need an additional kernel boot parameter "xen_emul_unplug=never" in /etc/grub.conf:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-100.35.1.el5uek ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00  xen_emul_unplug=never 

With kernel-uek-2.6.32-100.35.1 and higher, the default is to present only paravirtualized drivers when running in a hardware virtualized guest on Oracle VM. Adding this kernel boot parameter makes the kernel also present the emulated drivers as it did before (e.g. the 8139cp network driver may no longer load if this parameter is not set).

Older version of Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel do not have support for hardware virtualized guest that uses paravirtualized drivers (PVHVM).

• 2. Re: Oracle Linux 5.6 - Do I need to keep the xen kernel  ?
            alvaromiranda

take note that the latest kernel called kernel-uek2, is  kernel-uek-2.6.39 ..

that kernel include the bits to be used in xen guests, so you can have that kernel in xen guest and bare metal servers.

Alvaro.