1 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 2:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
      • 225. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
        EJP

> I think that most of these negative comments are based on emotional logic

You don't have any evidence about it one way or the other and it is impertinent of you to speculate about it.

• 226. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
          Dude!

Unfortunately there is probably no nice way to put it. However, every large IT company had flops and pretty much got away with it. Sadly and strange enough, it's often not the bad products and technologies that cease to exist. Expectations of Oracle in regard to providing quality solutions are certainly high.

I wonder how Oracle decides to continue. It seems the decision (if there was) has been made to move along and address the "smaller" problems as they come. If the current situation was unexpected however, I would be afraid that there are even bigger issues lurking around the corner. The more information gets into the current system, the more difficult it will be to pursue plan B, if such actually exists.

If I was Oracle I would probably warm up the old system and define a fixed time limit to address current issues. It might not be a bad idea to have more time to get things right. It does not really look good to advertise new features without having fixed or implemented previous features or expectations first. Apparently more time should have been spent to customize and verify the current work-flow, presentation and creating helpful documentation.

• 227. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
            Billy~Verreynne

EJP wrote:

> I think that most of these negative comments are based on emotional logic

You don't have any evidence about it one way or the other and it is impertinent of you to speculate about it.

You just proved my point with that comment.

• 228. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
              Lovin_JV_941794

hello,

2 questions :

1.I had only 65points in old OTN.Now I have 201points .I am a journeyer now.

2.How to mark thread as helpful/correct?

• 229. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                PhHein

1) your points will be taken away shortly

2) You have to mark a discussion as a question. Then you can flag answers. Right now you can only mark a thread answered by flagging a correct answer.

• 230. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                  gimbal2

EJP wrote:

> The login is weird and probably still being experimented with

I don't see any reason why a single-signon system that has been working for years should be experimented with, or why released software should contain experiments.

Yesterday I had a fun hour trying to post this reply. Started at the home page, logged in,  went to the thread, went to page 13, I am then shown as logged out, so I log in, so I am then taken back to the home page and the whole cycle repeated.

Same here, but apparently that was due to servers becoming swamped and then deciding to kick users out. I hope they (the servers) will be taught a lesson, the jerks!

• 231. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                    Karthick_Arp

PaulM. wrote:

And generally speaking, what are those "like", "follow" and so ? This is not a social network, but a technical forum, at least so I've always considered it.

I personally like the "like" button.  Its better than the points system where in only the OP can recognize your post. But with like any one can. When I post something and people who I admire in this forum like that post it makes me feel good. I consider that feature as a "Feel good thing!!"

• 232. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                      gimbal2

Karthick_Arp wrote:

PaulM. wrote:

And generally speaking, what are those "like", "follow" and so ? This is not a social network, but a technical forum, at least so I've always considered it.

I personally like the "like" button.  Its better than the points system where in only the OP can recognize your post. But with like any one can. When I post something and people who I admire in this forum like that post it makes me feel good. I consider that feature as a "Feel good thing!!"

But how would you know it was someone you admired, can you see that somewhere? Perhaps in your communication channel or something?

I like it for a different reason - it gives a good indication to people unfamiliar with the topic which replies are trustworthy and truthful and which are not. But as always the system relies on people behaving properly and that is where it breaks down; before long there will be children and trolls that just like everything they see. Its a good thing that there is no "thumb down", that makes it less attractive to do so.

• 233. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                        PhHein

If you click the number in the brackets behind the like you get a popup telling you who it was.

• 234. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                          EJP

This is a professional discussion forum and you are expected to behave in a professional manner on it. Your remarks are unprofessional and unacceptable in this place. What you are doing here is itself an irrational mode of argument. If you have valid arguments based on sound premisses, post them.

• 235. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                            ATD

Hi Billy,

My point was that when I am typing into one part of the screen, anything that pops up outside of my line of sight takes a while to register.  Once I had spotted it, and seen "error" in there, just as I started to read the full message, it vanished.  Error messages should either stay on screen or the user should dismiss them

Andy

• 236. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                              Suresh Karunarathne

Please use old marks calculation method,Using this calculation it is shown Legend for number of post not the number of points earned. It is unfair for better answer providers

Thanks

-Suresh

• 237. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                riedelme

Up until now I have not been able to post.  I was able to change my profile information with no problems.

When changing pages I kept losing my login- my username was replaced by the login link on the new page without logging out.  Clicking on the login link refreshed the current page with my username instead of the login link.  When I could get to a page with my login listed and trying to submit I got slowly flashing error messages complaining that the network connection had been lost and an occasional popup on bottom of the page citing some other problem.  When submitting posts I got 404 or other error pages.  Page loading was very slow. This happened in both IE9 and  Firefox.

This morning I deleted pages, cookies, etc. in IE.  That may have fixed the issues as the my login marker seems stable when switching pages and this edit page looks different than the one I saw.  Perhaps bad cookies were causing browser indigestion.

All this aside the new site looks great.

Let's see if this submit works ....

• 238. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                  BrianPa

I must amend my previous list of things I like, as it seems like a third-party tracker has been added.

"TRUSTe is the leading online privacy solutions provider and provides a broad suite of privacy services to help businesses build trust and increase engagement across all of their online channels – including websites, mobile applications, advertising, cloud services, business analytics and email marketing."

Oh, the irony.

• 239. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                    Marwim

riedelme wrote:

...Perhaps bad cookies were causing broswer indigestion.

No, it was

- Site stability and performance:  we've turned off the "more like this" feature which was helpfully wasting a lot of cycles

Update on site issues

Regards

Marcus

1 14 15 16 17 18 Previous Next