This discussion is archived
1 15 16 17 18 19 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 240. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Christian Erlinger Guru
    Currently Being Moderated

Not sure if this has been brought up in this rather long thread, but anyway;

I am a little bit confused about the spaces and subspaces. Right now we have e.g. the "Applicatoin Development in PL/SQL space

Application Development in PL/SQL

where e.g. Forms, Reports and SQL Developer are Subspaces. This pretty much reflects the Categories and Subcategories in the old Forum Software. However now we have a post in the Application Development in PL/SQL

Space: Stored procedure with use of Object datatype.

Which indeed is PL/SQL related...however wouldn't that collide with the "real" SQL and PL/SQL Space? If it stays that way I guess we will have a lot of PL/SQL related questions in there from newcomers, as right now the SQL and PL/SQL forum is hidden in the Database Space whereas the Application Development in PL/SQL Space is right on the front page...?

cheers

• 241. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Took me a while to understand what you were saying Christian, but I think I've got it...

You're saying that people can post in the "Application Development in PL/SQL" space without going to the specific sub-spaces within it... and hence they may perceive it's ok to post PL/SQL coding questions in there which really should be in the "SQL and PL/SQL" space?

I don't know what the intention is by the admin to deal with such things, but I'm getting a feeling that these "spaces" are not tight places like the forums.

Yesterday, I was in the SQL and PL/SQL space, and saw a thread in there: Re: Need help to clarify PL/SQL conceptsRe: Need help to clarify PL/SQL concepts

which is actually in the SQL Developer (not for general SQL/PLSQL questions), but because Marcus has replied to the OP to say it should be in the SQL and PL/SQL space, the new forum software obviously picked up on that and showed it over in the SQL and PL/SQL space, so just the mention of it (a link to the space) can make it magically 'appear' over in the space without it having to be moved, and therefore I guess people over in that space can come to the rescue (bring rescued from space sounds good )

So, I guess a solution would just be for people to mentione the "space" in which the question is relevant, and it will do it's magical stuff and draw in the relevant skilled people.

Edit: LOL! I've just gone to the SQL and PL/SQL space and it's now showing this thread with your message saying "ChristianErlinger mentioned SQL and PL/SQL"

Things are certainly floating about in space! 

Message was edited by: BluShadow

• 242. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Christian Erlinger Guru

> Took me a while to understand what you were saying Christian, but I think I've got it...

Sorry for the confusion . Sometimes I get lost when translating the nested sentences coming to my mind in my native tongue to english while posting...

> You're saying that people can post in the "Application Development in PL/SQL" space without going to the specific sub-spaces within it... and hence they may perceive it's ok to post PL/SQL coding questions in there which really should be in the "SQL and PL/SQL" space?

Exactly. In terms of the Old Forums I would compare that to be able to post to a Category (which was not possible); like post to the Technology Network Community, or to "Oracle Database".

> but I'm getting a feeling that these "spaces" are not tight places like the forums.

So it seems. By mentioning the Application Development in [....] Space in this thread we have this thread linked in the "Overview" in the "Application Development in [....]". However if you click on the "Content" tab this is gone. To test I created a test post directly in the Space:The specified item was not found. which is also visible in the "Content" tab. I guess the "Overview" might serve some sort of Tagging whatsoever so I can see all discussions "tagged" with the Space name. I can however see some "Please Post your question in the correct forum located at [....]" in that Overview .

I am even able to post Questions to the Development Tools Space, where right now there is also a Question related to Forms posted.

As said if I were new to the Oracle Forums and would have a question regarding PL/SQL it would go straight foreward to the "Application Development in PL/SQL" Space instead the correct one. Why would I know that there is only Forms and Reports which also use PL/SQL in there . In the previous Software we of course had posts in the wrong forums, but now that it is possible to post to 2 Spaces with almost the same name this certainly won't decrease posts in the wrong space...

cheers

• 243. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    LuKKa Newbie

Hi Jgarry

I am getting mails from no_reply@oracle.com .  I don't want all these mails .I want only that mail which I have started discussion .  Can you please tell me how can I stop those mails ?

• 244. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Mr Nitin-Oracle Explorer

if you have set a watch (receive email notifications on the right hand side) - for individual threads, you may get updates

• 245. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Yeah - the floating window only floats for a short while before disappearing. But I have managed to highlight and copy the contents each time for filing bug reports.

Not sure what the intention is ito UI design with that floating window - a notification window should be acknowledge, and not disappear while still reading the notification.

• 246. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

A professional forum? Wrong.

It is a public forum for Oracle users. Where some users are even scholars looking for help with their (Oracle) homework.

If you however want to walk around with a rod up the old backside, continue. Just do not expect everyone to follow suit.

• 247. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    CKPT Guru

We have to accept the change of new OTN look, Included many features( like, add friend, Social networks, PDF.. so on). Great work.

Coming to my point.....

May be am asking the routine question, I read many posts from users. But unable to understand how these points are allotted.

Initially i guess my points were around 10000 change and now after upgrade of OTN i can see them 13000 change, I would like to understand how they have been given and also earlier points will be given based on "Helpful" or "Correct" with 5 or 10 points, now i can see even more odd numbers, Ex: 13,704.  Is there any reference manual to know whether they based on the number of posts or the helpful/correct answers?

Thank you all admins. Have a great day.

• 248. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

The points are still messed up. As far as I know they'll be sorted out later.

• 249. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Shiry Newbie

Hello ,

i could not access my question  thread any more https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2548917 

• 250. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Why not? I can see it fine. Please try again.

• 251. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Shiry Newbie

The link takes me to this page 

Unauthorized page

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

• 252. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    saurabh Pro

hi sonya,

I am unable to find space for the DATAGUARD and RMAN section. Could you please help out.

Regards,

Saurabh

• 254. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Boneist Guru

ShereenReda wrote:

The link takes me to this page

Unauthorized page

Access to this place or content is restricted. If you think this is a mistake, please contact your administrator or the person who directed you here.

I get the same error as you - I wonder if PhHein can see it because they're a moderator and we're not?

Message was edited by: Boneist

1 15 16 17 18 19 28 Previous Next