This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 16, 2013 5:02 AM by stephane_l RSS

retrieving solaris 11.1 partition when booting with the text install cdrom

stephane_l Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
I am newbie on solaris..
I had problems with the bootloader installation and I try to retrieve my solaris partition (zfs/GPT) when I boot with the text installation cdrom (otherwise I must install again solaris )
I didn' t save the root pool (can I save the root pool on a big USB KEY ?)
I did before a GTP partition(whole disk instalaltion)
I tried zfs mount <partition> and I tried zfs import -f rpool without sucess (after booting with the text install cdrom)
should I do something after the installation of solaris to avoid this problem ?

Thanks for your answers
  • 1. Re: retrieving solaris 11.1 partition when booting with the text install cdrom
    stephane_l Newbie

I think that I have this problem because the computer on which I want to install the system is a BIOS PC, and I think that Solaris 11.1 run on UEFI PCs (because of GPT parttitions)

So I must buy a more recent PC or try with a Virtual Machine...

• 2. Re: retrieving solaris 11.1 partition when booting with the text install cdrom
    Dave Miner Explorer

Solaris 11.1 will run on systems with either old BIOS firmware or new UEFI.  What was the original problem you had?  You should always be able to boot the media and import a root pool from disk using "zpool import".

• 3. Re: retrieving solaris 11.1 partition when booting with the text install cdrom
    stephane_l Newbie

Thank you Dave for your answer,

On this pc I had a real trouble because I couldn't import with zpool import - f rpool,but I tryed on another PC yesterday and the installation was succesfull and I was able to import the rpool.(so it does'nt matter now I will use the pc on which the installation was succesfull)

On the both PC  I have another trouble: I cannot install the solaris grub2 in the MBR with bootadm install-bootloader -fMv -P rpool c7d0s0 (I have 3 hards disks and the first is c7d0 and the 3rd disk is solaris c8d0), it says GRUB2 installation failed

the syntax is bootadm install-bootloader -FM ....... device, so is c7d0s0 right ? the first hard disk is a MBR disk with a linux system (ext4),

I've tryed too to chainload solaris with two versions of grub2 of linux  but it doesn't boot solaris (I had done a bootadm install-bootloader -fv -P rpool before)

I could perhaps try too to install solaris on the first hard disk so the grub2 would perhaps install easily in the MBR ?

it' is a little bit long booting with the text installer cd , if you have a solution for installing grub2 of solaris into the MBR, I take it

• 4. Re: retrieving solaris 11.1 partition when booting with the text install cdrom
    stephane_l Newbie

I have installed solaris on the first hard drive as I couldn't install grub2 solaris in the MBR of the first hard drive when solaris was on the third hard drive,and now grub2 is installed in the MBR of the first hard drive

Now I haven't any problem any more with this configuration...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points