This discussion is archived
1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 11:29 PM by Steven Davelaar RSS

Using OrdDocDomain column in a table

Brent Harlow Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi guys,

JDeveloper 11.1.2.3

JHeadstart 11.2.1.28

I know the default now is for is for Form Value Bindings not to be created where the layout style is table but this particular case brought me grief for quite a while before I finally worked out what the problem was so I thought I'd share.

When trying to access the table group I got a javax.el.ELException: rendered="#{HomeUserGuidesUserGuideFileHandlerInTable.fileExist}": java.lang.NullPointerException

Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException

at oracle.jheadstart.controller.jsf.bean.FileHandlerBean.getCurrentAttribute(FileHandlerBean.java:248)

at oracle.jheadstart.controller.jsf.bean.FileHandlerBean.isFileExist(FileHandlerBean.java:404)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

I thought originally that there was a problem with the file that I had uploaded into the table - and barked up that wrong tree for a while before eventually checking the HomeUserGuidesUserGuideFileHandlerInTable bean and seeing that bean had a managedProperty "valueBinding" that referred to the Form Value Binding of the OrdDocDomain column. Once I went back into the JAG and checked the "Generate Form Value Binding" box, all worked fine.

Perhaps for cases like this when your code demands a Form Value Binding, you could generate one automatically without the developer having to specify to generate it ?  I know I can turn this feature on at the service level but I prefer to leave it off unless absolutely necessary - it's knowing when this is that can prove tricky.

Cheers,

Brent