This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 7:57 AM by John-MK RSS

deintall old Oracle s/w after upgrade issue with deinstall utility

John-MK Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

As Oracle recommends to use deinstall utility to remove Oracle s/w and de-supports using OUI/runInstaller. But I have a little questions which has become little tricky for me...

I am afraid at this step:

Specify all Single Instance listeners that are to be de-configured [LISTENER]:

As the listener being used is with the name LISTENER itself, and if I simply enter at the above step, it will stop/de-configure the New Listener in use :-( It happened to me last time.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17984_01/doc.898/e22498/deinstall_db_em.htm

LInes pasted from the above link: Listener will be removed like this I am afraid:

{code}

De-configuring Single Instance listener(s): LISTENER

De-configuring listener: LISTENER

Stopping listener: LISTENER

Warning: Failed to stop listener. Listener may not be running.

Deleting listener: LISTENER

Listener deleted successfully.

Listener de-configured successfully.

{code}

I have downloaded deinstall utility for Linux_64 version and software to delete is 11.2.0.2 on RHL-64

./deinstall -home /oracletempbackup/11.2.0/gridhome_1

Please suggest to handle this Listener DE-configuration step.

Thanks a lot.

P.S New interface of forums looks nice, but it will take some time to get used to it... Previously {code} was very good option, I am sure it will be the same, I am just using it wrong somehow :-)

Best Regards

• 1. Re: deintall old Oracle s/w after upgrade issue with deinstall utility
    DK2010 Guru

Hi,

What is it means

it will stop/de-configure the New Listener in use

Do you have any other home on the server ?

listener is  based on just a txt file(listener.ora) so you can either remove using netca or using the os command.

you can also change the listener name from default name LISTENER to listenr_SID  somthing like that..

HTH

• 2. Re: deintall old Oracle s/w after upgrade issue with deinstall utility
    John-MK Newbie

Hi,

Thank you.

Yes, I upgraded from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3 version. Single instance with ASM Instance. Listener is running from the GRID_HOME and its name is default "LISTENER"

DK2010 wrote:

Hi,

What is it means

it will stop/de-configure the New Listener in use

Do you have any other home on the server ?

listener is  based on just a txt file(listener.ora) so you can either remove using netca or using the os command.

you can also change the listener name from default name LISTENER to listenr_SID  somthing like that..

HTH

I did out-of-place upgrade, and new ORACLE_HOME is also present on the server at : /oracle/product/11.2.0.3/db

listener.ora does not exists in any db_home. It exists in grid_home as I said, listener is running from the above grid_home.

ps aux | grep LISTENER

oracle   21086  0.0  0.0  61216   740 pts/2    S+   11:33   0:00 grep LISTENER

oracle   26842  0.0  0.1  83768 13636 ?        Ss   May24   2:30 /oracle/grid/product/11.2.0.3/grid/bin/tnslsnr LISTENER -inherit

software home 11.2.0.2 to deinstall is:

/oracle/product/11.2.0/db

- I am also little afraid of the following which is selected auto by the deinstall utility. It might remove everything undre /oracle, isn't it?

Oracle Base selected for deinstall is: /oracle

Best Regards

• 3. Re: deintall old Oracle s/w after upgrade issue with deinstall utility
    John-MK Newbie

Instead of using separate deinstall utility, I used the deinstall script from the ORACLE_HOME which I wanted to deinstall, and it worked fine.

Did not destroyed ORACLE_BASE, as it said, ORACLE_BASE will not be de-configured as 11.2.0.3 ORACLE_HOME is running from it.

Secondly, in this way, deinstall script did not ask for the listener to de-configure.

Best Regards

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points