4 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 10:16 AM by mbobak RSS

Using RHEL 5 datafiles disks on RHEL 6 server

Hello,

I have a primary server that is based on RHEL 5.9 x86_64 and Oracle 11gR2 (11.2.0.2 + periodic PSU).

Currently I take a consistent group snapshot of the RDBMS disks (while in begin backup mode) and mount the corresponding filesystems on another RHEL 5.9 server with same RDBMS version.

In general I only dump to tape the filesystems contant and sometimes when needed I open the rdbms with resetlogs option and run an export against it.

Is it possible/supported to make the same things, but maintaining on the secondary server only the same version of RDBMS (11.2.0.2 + periodic PSU) but put it on RHEL 6.3 operating system?

Thanks in advance,

Gianluca

• 1. Re: Using RHEL 5 datafiles disks on RHEL 6 server
          EdStevens

798463 wrote:

Hello,

I have a primary server that is based on RHEL 5.9 x86_64 and Oracle 11gR2 (11.2.0.2 + periodic PSU).

Currently I take a consistent group snapshot of the RDBMS disks (while in begin backup mode) and mount the corresponding filesystems on another RHEL 5.9 server with same RDBMS version.

In general I only dump to tape the filesystems contant and sometimes when needed I open the rdbms with resetlogs option and run an export against it.

Is it possible/supported to make the same things, but maintaining on the secondary server only the same version of RDBMS (11.2.0.2 + periodic PSU) but put it on RHEL 6.3 operating system?

Thanks in advance,

Gianluca

What does your own testing reveal?

What's the worst thing that could happen from testing it yourself?

• 2. Re: Using RHEL 5 datafiles disks on RHEL 6 server

test about what? Not already done with rhel 6.3, only with same version of OS and works ok.

To test I have to scratch a server that is currently in rhel 5.9 now, so the question was about knowing if anyone already had any feedback with similar situations, not necessarily RHEL and not necessarily Linux, before proceed....

Eventually I'm going to open an informative case SR too

• 3. Re: Using RHEL 5 datafiles disks on RHEL 6 server

I would think it should work, since you are not changing from 64 to 32 bit, or different operating systems with different endian formats.

Obviously, the only way to confirm it on your specific operating system is to actually do it.

Best advice is:   Doveryai no Proveryai (Trust but Verify)

• 4. Re: Using RHEL 5 datafiles disks on RHEL 6 server
                mbobak

Since 11.2.0.2.0 is not certified with OEL6 or RHEL6, I'm going to say this is a bad idea.

You need at least 11.2.0.3.0 for OEL6 or RHEL6 support.

You can hack it to make it work, but Oracle won't support it, and it's a bad idea.

(The main differences that I'm aware of are around the move from /etc/init.d scripts to Upstart scripts.)

Hope that helps,

-Mark