6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 12:26 PM by jgarry RSS

Backup between two dates

Hulk

Hi,

I am new to oracle dba.

Last week on sunday(16th june) backup was not taken to my oracle 8.1.7.2.1 database , today 19th june it was identified.

Now, I want to take backup to my database from 10th june to 15th june.

Please let me know whether it is possible to take full backup of all files (datafiles,redologs,control file) between 10th and 15th june.

If yes, please provide me the syntax or example.

My database is in ARCHIVE mode.

• 1. Re: Backup between two dates
          sb92075

Hulk wrote:

Hi,

I am new to oracle dba.

Last week on sunday(16th june) backup was not taken to my oracle 8.1.7.2.1 database , today 19th june it was identified.

Please let me know whether it is possible to take full backup of all files (datafiles,redologs,control file) between 10th and 15th june.

woefully ANCIENT database.

You should take a FULL online backup now  or ASAP

• 2. Re: Backup between two dates
            Hulk

If I  do FULL online backup , it will perform backup till today right? please correct me if I am wrong.

• 3. Re: Backup between two dates
              sybrand_b

It is not possible. Also it doesn't make sense as you can go to that date by using a prior backup and recover the database to any point in time (called incomplete recovery) using your archivelogs.

I can only hope this database is not important for you. Oracle 8.1 has been desupported many many many years ago and you are not even on the terminal release, 8.1.7.4.

-----------------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 4. Re: Backup between two dates
                TSharma-Oracle

You cannot take the full backup just between 2 dates. You just need to take the full backup of your database. And If you have all the archives saved after 10th June, you can recover your database upto any point in time using 10th June's backup.

Documentation and syntaxes for your backup:

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/8i/recovery-manager-8i.php

• 5. Re: Backup between two dates
                  EdStevens

Hulk wrote:

Hi,

I am new to oracle dba.

Backups (and here I speak of backups in general, not just Oracle) are, by definition, the state of a system at a point in time ... not a period of time.

Hopefully this missed backup was an rman backup of a database running in archivelog mode.  In which case you simply need to take a new level 0 backup  NOW.  (oops.  This is 8.1 ... I'm not sure rman was even available for that.)   Exactly HOW are you taking your backups now?

But several things about this entire scenario bother me.

First, you are running a database system that has been totally out of support for years.  In fact, given your statement "I am new to oracle dba" I'd be willing to bet a cookie that it was fully out of support long before your IT career began.

Second, the fact your shop could go 4 days without knowing that a critical backup failed.  This points to a systemic lack of attention.

Third, the fact that your shop has their database in the hands of a very junior, very inexperienced dba.

Any and all of the above indicates that your organization doesn't consider this database to be important.

All that aside, you need to start NOW getting familiar with database backup and recovery.  And you need to start lobbying very strongly for both some dba training for yourself and an aggressive upgrade path to get your database onto a supported system.

• 6. Re: Backup between two dates
                    jgarry

Rman was in 8.0: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/A58617_01/server.804/a58396/ch5.htm#421680

I think it was added to ocp cert for 8i, though I could be misremembering.