4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2013 4:09 AM by qazianeel RSS

Few question before installaltion

qazianeel

Hello friends,

I'm planning to install EBS R12 on 64 bit machine for test purpose, I've few questions before I go for it:

1) Which OS (+release) is better for R12 for smooth installation and having less issues?

2) Can I copy stage area from another server and use it on this server for installation?

Thanks and regards

Aneel Ahmed

• 1. Re: Few question before installaltion
          Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

I'm planning to install EBS R12 on 64 bit machine for test purpose, I've few questions before I go for it:

1) Which OS (+release) is better for R12 for smooth installation and having less issues?

I would recommend Linux.

Oracle E-Business Suite Installation and Upgrade Notes Release 12 (12.1.1) for Linux x86-64 [ID 761566.1]

2) Can I copy stage area from another server and use it on this server for installation?

Yes. You may run md5sum then to verify the integrity of the stage area directory.

MD5 Checksums for R12.1.1 Rapid Install Media [ID 802195.1]

Thanks,

Hussein

• 2. Re: Few question before installaltion
            qazianeel

Thank you akhi for your response. I will ask some more questions I hope you will not mind

I am little bit confused I want to install EBS without upgrading OS kernel or DB. Which version should I go with?

Like the documents states: "...On the database tier, the use of the UEK will require upgrading to 11gR2" and for linux 4 it asks for kernel upgrade.

I tried md5sum on same server which already have stage area to test how does it work and it has checked all the directories with result OK. How do I check startCD separately?

How does EBS allocate memory for DB and EBS?

Thanks and regards

Aneel Ahmed

• 3. Re: Few question before installaltion
              Hussein Sawwan-Oracle

Thank you akhi for your response. I will ask some more questions I hope you will not mind

Not at all

I am little bit confused I want to install EBS without upgrading OS kernel or DB. Which version should I go with?

You need to be on the minimum kernel mentioned in the doc, so check the requirement for each OS in the doc and you can decide then (OEL/RHEL 6 will require additional upgrade).

I tried md5sum on same server which already have stage area to test how does it work and it has checked all the directories with result OK. How do I check startCD separately?

It's part of the md5sum command that you will run.

How does EBS allocate memory for DB and EBS?

DB --> SGA Size (and other init parameters).

Apps --> Check the application context file

Thanks,

Hussein

• 4. Re: Few question before installaltion
                qazianeel

Thanks alot but I've few more questions for you akhi

1. The document 761566.1 have list of packages which must be installed, includes 64-bit as well as 32-bit packages. Why so?

2. The document further states "Manually fix database dbf file for Fresh production (PROD) database installs" and then it give the method to resize data files. How do I determine which data files have to be altered? Does it mean all datafiles including system?

3. And I never understood this: recommended value for kernel.shmall is 2097152. The note states "The listed value is the minimum requirement - we recommended an actual setting that is at least equal to the sum of all the SGAs on the system, divided by the page size"? I'm going for fresh installation how could I have any SGA!

4. If I've 4gb ram, should I go for 6gb swap area? or swap area doesn't require anymore?

Regards

Aneel Ahmed

Hussein Akhi plz reply to this.