This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2013 8:00 AM by Dude! RSS

The content view needs improvement

Dude! Guru
Currently Being Moderated

Are there any ideas or plans to improve the Content view?

The way it appears now is not very helpful. It would be useful if it could at least show the last person who updated a thread and also move updated posts to the top of the list, as it worked in the previous forum software.

Right now it seems to me the only reasonable way to keep up with posts is to use the Overview view or use Following or Tracking, which is information overkill. Or is there any other more efficient way?

• 1. Re: The content view needs improvement
    Karthick_Arp Guru

I do two things

1. I keep the content Sorted by last active date in descending order

2. Use Thumbnail view to see the last updated details, but most of the time it shows wrong information.

But I agree that this need lot of improvement.

• 2. Re: The content view needs improvement
    Dude! Guru

Regarding 1) that's actually the default view. However, it does not seem to update, i.e. move threads to the top in the list, when someone modifies any existing content.

• 3. Re: The content view needs improvement
    EdStevens Guru

Dude wrote:

Regarding 1) that's actually the default view. However, it does not seem to update, i.e. move threads to the top in the list, when someone modifies any existing content.

I'm not seeing that  behavior at all.

In Firefox I have bookmarks directly to the Content tab of each forum , uh, "space" that I follow.  The list is already sorted by dated, descending.  I didn't do anything to get that sort order.  As I work my way through the list (bottom up, oldest first) if I respond to something, when finished I used the browser's 'back' button to take me back to the content listing.  Using the browser back button, the browser should refresh the display from cache and the thread I updated should still be exactly where it was in the listing.  That's how it worked before and made sense vis a vis how a browser back button works.  But in the new forum, when I hit that back button, the thread I just updated has moved to the top of the list.  I'm not sure how that's happening, and don't consider it really a problem, just something 'different'.

But on the same subject this seems an appropriate place to reiterate points I've made before ..  1) I'd like the listing to show the last user to update the thread  2) I'd like the listing to mark threads I'm watching, and 3) I'd like the listing to mark users I'm watching.  As it is now, if I'm watching/following something, I have to go to a completely separate page to see that.  I quickly gave up on that and simply rely on my very faulty memory as I'm working through the content listing.  For the time being I'm no longer marking things to watch or follow.

• 4. Re: The content view needs improvement
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Dude wrote:

Are you expecting it to happen in real time?

It works ok if the page is refreshed, which is just like the old forum.  Heaven forbid that posts dynamically moved in real time as they were updated.  With some of the fervent activity on these forums, you'd have posts rearranging themselves in the list before your very eyes and before you got a chance to click on the right one. 

I agree that the person who last updated it would be useful though, as well as making the date and time stand out more... grey text is so much more difficult to read, and I use the date/time to know where I was before I refreshed.

• 5. Re: The content view needs improvement
    Dude! Guru

I was talking about editing an existing message, not adding another response to a thread, which works and moves the tread up the list.

Here is what I did for anyone to reproduce:

I open an older, previous post.

Scroll down to my last response and click "edit".

Add some text to the message body and click the update button.

(I do not use "Add the following text to the message" and " Minor edit, don't send notifications or update streams" is not selected.)

Then I select the space/forum link from the path underneath the forum banner.

The messages does not appear on the top. Another reload of the page or waiting for several minutes makes no difference.

It shows the modified text. However, Overview still shows 9 hours ago.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points