This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2013 3:35 PM by rp0428 RSS

SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files

684479 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
It is version build main-5783. When I try to import data in text files, I get this message "there are no readers registered for the txt type"; how can I get a reader?

While SQL Developer allows excel file import, but the imported tables have their column orders reversed and excel files can only hold very limited rows. Is there a good data pump kind of like what MS SQL has that we can use?

Thanks for your help!
  • 1. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    -K- Guru
    If that's a comma separated text file, rename to it to *.csv.
    As for the best way of importing big flat files, that would be SQL*Loader, but involves some more work and knowledge (see the manual and forum with the same name)...

Have fun,
    K.
  • 2. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    684479 Newbie
    The Data Import Wizard almost froze on step one reading the file, it has only 120,000 records and not very wide, after it came back I had all the column data types specified, click on verify then finish and it ran for few minutes; when I refreshed no new table was created.

I loaded the file to MS Access and tried to push the table through using ODBC with the Access Export Wizard; it ran for few minutes and when I refreshed in Oracle, the table was there and looked perfect.

Off first glance Oracle's SQL Developer does not appear to be a mature product. At least it lacks the data pump that MS SQL Enterprise Manager does which is ultra fast and easy to use.

Thanks for the help, I will use Access as a bridge then.
  • 3. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    683362 Newbie
    I just ran an experiment using Access as my "bridge" to copy a large table (300,000 records) from one database to another.
    I started an append query and an export at the same time. The export query ran more quickly, but created VARCHAR2(320 BYTE) (Memo in Access) fields in 3 of the 4 cases where there should have been a number field.
  • 4. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    vasan_kps Explorer
    Can you provide the table structure for the table that you are trying to import? You can email it to srinivasan.karthikeyan.pitchai@oracle.com. If can provide the actual file that you are trying to import that would be ideal.
  • 5. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    923802 Newbie
    What if it is tab delimited? I have a file that has fields with descriptions in them. The descriptions have commas in them. How do I import these if I can only import csv files?
  • 6. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    Gary Graham Expert
    Hi,

If you use a recent SQL Developer (say, either of the 3.0 or 3.1 production versions), the Data Import Wizard (Step 1 of 5) will let you specify a file Format of delimited and a Delimiter of tab.

Regards,
    Gary
    SQL Developer Team
  • 7. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    Walkerdog Newbie

I use the current version of Oracle SQL Developer, I started getting this error after the last update.  I can not upload fixed length text fields anymore.  I have to load it into Excel or LibreOffice and save it out as a .csv.  Why can I not upload text files through developer anymore?

• 8. Re: SQL Developer 1.5.3 Can't Import Text Files
    rp0428 Guru

HIJACKED THREAD!

Please don't hijack another user's 4 year old thread for your own issues.

If you have a question or issue create a new thread and provide your specific information about the problem including the full version number for sql developer and the platform you are using.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points