1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 23, 2013 5:32 AM by rukbat RSS

Sun Fire X4140 Multiprocessor System does not display both CPUs in BIOS

user2538076

Forgive me for being an idiot, and posting this discussion in the inappropriate discussion board, if I have done so.

I have literally spent hours reviewing docs on Oracle's site and the Internet, to no avail, and just need a simple answer to what I think is a generic issue.

I have a number of x4140 systems with (2) physical Opteron 6-core CPUs, dual heat sinks, 32 GB RAM in memory banks for CPU 0, etc...

However, when I check in BIOS, the system only shows (1) Physical CPU Count and (6) Logical Processors.

WHAT am I missing? Is this by design with the SouthBridge/Memory/Gig Ethernet Adapter configuration?

Do I need some magic Sun Part/Key to enable the 2nd CPU and use all 12 cores?

is this limited by the current firmware revision?

Being new to Sun and coming from the HP world, as long as you match the CPUs, put memory in both banks, and install the Power Module, the HP systems fires right up.

This really shouldn't be so complicated ... Sun systems have been around forever =)

I would appreciate any assistance the Community could provide, and thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: Sun Fire X4140 Multiprocessor System does not display both CPUs in BIOS

Go get the system documentation.  You should probably bookmark that location for future reference.

You stated:

"I have a number of x4140 systems with (2) physical Opteron 6-core CPUs, dual heat sinks, 32 GB RAM in memory banks for CPU 0, etc..."  [emphasis added]

... which suggests that you have no RAM populated for the second processor.    Many server companies design their systems to require a processor to have RAM be associated specifically to it.

Read the documentation and then move RAM around until you have memory banks properly populated for each CPU module that might be in the chassis.

After you have done that, you can power the system back on and check your new system configuration.