This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2013 11:59 AM by Tyson Jouglet RSS

What is the correct way for invoking application process from Javascript?

TamasSzecsy Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Before APEX 4.0 I used to invoke application processes from javascript by doing something like this:

var ajaxRequest = new htmldb_Get(null,&APP_ID.,'APPLICATION_PROCESS=RESET_ADATLAP_COUNT',0);

ajaxResult = ajaxRequest.get();

Although htmldb_Get is not supported and not documented there are a dozen blogs that point into this direction. But from APEX 4.x on, htmldb_Get still works, but for example htmldb_Get.add does not and I would like to switch to a documented solution.

Could you please help me with this? I am not too familiar with Javascript or Ajax, so please be easy on shorthand! Thanks.

• 1. Re: What is the correct way for invoking application process from Javascript?
    Tyson Jouglet Expert

This will work in any version of apex where jquery is installed.

var queryString = {
      p_flow_id: $('#pFlowId').val(), // app
      p_flow_step_id: $('#pFlowStepId').val(), // page
      p_instance: $('#pInstance').val(), // session
      p_request: 'APPLICATION_PROCESS=RESET_ADATLAP_COUNT', //process
     f01: ['1','2'], // set a global array to something
      x01: 'SOME_VALUE' // set a global variable to something
    }
    $.ajax({
      type: 'POST',
      url: 'wwv_flow.show',
      data: queryString,
      dateType: 'text',
      async: true, // setting this to false will behave the same as htmldb_get, but async: true will not sit and wait for a response if the server is slow. it will be processed when the request is completed
      success: function(data){
         //TODO do something with the result(if there is any)
       }
    });

If you are using apex 4.2 you can have most of this encapsulated into apex.server.process though th structure of the call seems a little wonky.

apex.server.process ( 
      "RESET_ADATLAP_COUNT", 
      { x01: "SOME_VALUE",
        pageItems: "#P1_DEPTNO,#P1_EMPNO"
      }, 
      {
       success: function( pData ) { ... do something here ... }
    });

Good Luck,

Tyson

• 2. Re: What is the correct way for invoking application process from Javascript?
    TamasSzecsy Newbie

Thanx. One more thing. I am using session state protection for the page. How could I generate the checksum value for the above example? I am running on APEX 4.1.0.0.23.

• 3. Re: What is the correct way for invoking application process from Javascript?
    Tyson Jouglet Expert

Dynamic Action of type execute PL/SQL would be the best fit. Make that application process a database procedure and whatever items are referenced will become parameters into the procedure. Technically you do not have to make that a procedure and you could copy the code from one place to the other, but i highly recommend not copying code  as that is how you get weird bugs in your app.

Good Luck,

Tyson

• 4. Re: What is the correct way for invoking application process from Javascript?
    TamasSzecsy Newbie

Tyson, generally this would be a good solution, but in the case of a custom Help it would mean I would need to create a Dynamic Action for all pages in my application and provide all items on the given page for the Dynamic Action. A template based solution would be  more generic and good way to do.

I had a look at the original APEX code for Help, it looks like this. It looks great, the only problem is that I do not know how to generate JSON results, since apex_util.json_from_sql is only available only from APEX 4.2 and the wwv_flow_item_help.show_help procedure is not visible to me.

function popupFieldHelp(pItemId, pSessionId){

// Show jQuery div based dialog if not running in screen reader mode, if not fall back to old popup

if (!$x('pScreenReaderMode')) {

apex.jQuery.getJSON(

'wwv_flow_item_help.show_help?p_item_id=' + pItemId + '&p_session=' + pSessionId + '&p_output_format=JSON',

function(pData){

var lDialog = apex.jQuery("#apex_popup_field_help");

if (lDialog.length===0) {

// add a new div with the retrieved page

lDialog = apex.jQuery('<div id="apex_popup_field_help">'+pData.helpText+'</div>');

// open created div as a dialog

• 5. Re: What is the correct way for invoking application process from Javascript?
    Tyson Jouglet Expert

Hey Tamas,

there is a substitution string called "CURRENT_ITEM_HELP_TEXT" you can just build that into your item template and not make an ajax call at all if that is what you are looking for. Just have the supporting JS/CSS in a page 0 or global page dynamic action.

Thanks,

Tyson