1 Reply Latest reply: Jun 24, 2013 1:48 PM by Hurukan RSS

[java.lang.String] using matches() method

Hurukan

Greetings !!

I'm actually trying to develop a Web interface using Java Applet.

This Applet is expected to generate some files from templates located in the .jar files.

I need some lights related to the fact that when I use this:

if(strCurrentClass.matches(".G"))

{

for(int cpt=0;cpt<4;cpt++) WriteToPage(PageUn, iPeriode, cpt, cpt, bf_times);

}

...on a Java 6 based NetBeans IDE it works as expected...

BUT if I use the same project with Java 7 on another NetBeans IDE --> it considers that the condition is false and I have to set strCurrentClass.matches(".G.*") to obtain the same behaviour.

My question is: are the regular expressions, in Java 7, differently computed by the matches() method regarding Java 6 ?

That sound strange...

Using my console in Linux, I tried the regular expressions using grep.

[root]antares:/... # ls | grep .G

3GT A.csv

3GT B.csv

4GT.csv

5GT.csv

6GT.csv

[root]antares:/... # ls | grep .G.*

3GT A.csv

3GT B.csv

4GT.csv

5GT.csv

6GT.csv

...all I need to know is that "does the current class corresponds to one of the 'G' ones" if so I have to do some process on the document before generate it on client's disk.

As you can see both statements produced the same results, but when I use the first statement it worked only with Java 6.

Is there a better way to express "if the current class name contains a digit (could be [3-6]) and then a "G" and then a "T" " ?

I have [3-6]GT but .G for me is good ^^

• 1. Re: [java.lang.String] using matches() method
          Hurukan

...after further researches I realized that matches() returns true if and only if the pattern matches in terms of content AND size...

For example: grep doesn't care there is characters after the .G it found 3GT A.csv it listed this string as a matching pattern; matches() won't because it exists following characters after the .G ( A.csv).

This is not related to Java 6 or 7 but that grep is not taking in count if there is trailing characters or not.

I did [3-6]GT.* and it worked everywhere (on both java 6 and java 7 test computers).

With the previous statement ([3-6]GT) my Applet worked only with 4GT, 5GT and 6GT (tests with 3GT A and B failed).