12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2013 3:08 AM by PeakIndicators_Alastair RSS

Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment

User_ABC
      What are the ateps involved in ODI package deployment? Can anyone plz list it down? And what components i need to import/export?

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
          Sutirtha Roy
          SSZ wrote:
          What are the ateps involved in ODI package deployment?
          What do you mean by "deployment" ?
          Is it some thing similar to war file deployment ? If yes then there no such thing in ODI.
          Is it like you wants to execute ODI code in production ? If yes the continue reading
          if not the elaborate about your exact need . If possible give example

Can anyone plz list it down?
          Generate SCENARIO of objects (package/interface/procedure) which you wants to execute in production
          For your info , if you are using 'x' interface , 'y' procedure in 'z' package then only scenario of 'z' package is sufficient in production execution.
          And what components i need to import/export?
          Scenario is the only object
          • 2. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
            User_ABC
            yes you are right.I want to execute it in production.I don't have to export/import data servers? Scenario is the only thing that i need to export?
            Will it contain information regarding data servers?
            And what about models?
            • 3. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
              Deployment normally needs the following steps.

1. Create a target master & work repository where you need to deploy your components.
              2. Create a target agent for running and testing your deployed components. Create a logical agent reference for your physical agent.

Then in your dev environment..

1. Create a scenario (with a version number) of your project. Create a schedule if you need that. Scenario is the only component you will need. No need to import project/model further.
              2. Export your scenario along with child components.
              3. Export your connectivity items i.e.
              a > Export your Data Server & Physical Schemas
              b > Export your Logical Schemas
              c > Export your context.

Now you need to import these components i.e Data Server & Physical Schemas, then Logical Schemas & context and followed by the Scenario of your project.
              Next , Change the connectivity details in Data server(s) accordingly.
              Go to the Agents tab of your context and check/change the association with logical and physical agents.

Test run your scenario via your agent / local agent.
              this should do your basic requirements.

Edited by: 922636 on Sep 12, 2012 7:17 AM

Edited by: 922636 on Sep 12, 2012 7:18 AM
              • 4. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                Sutirtha Roy
                SSZ wrote:
                yes you are right.I want to execute it in production.
                I don't have to export/import data servers?
                no .. it is not required . Your topology connection is sufficient for this
                Scenario is the only thing that i need to export?
                Yes
                Will it contain information regarding data servers?
                Yes
                And what about models?
                no needed
                • 5. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                  mRainey
                  Hi SSZ,

Whether or not you need to import the topology from the "development" environment to "production" will depend on your Master repository. If the "development" and "production" Work repositories share the same Master repository, these objects will already exist, as the topology is stored in the Master. If they use separate Master repositories, then yes, you will need to either migrate the topology objects from "development" or recreate them in "production" using the same object code.

From the Oracle documentation:
                  "Dependencies within a work repository are ID-based. Dependencies between objects of the work and objects of the master are based on the Codes and not the IDs. This means that only the Code of the objects (for example ORACLE is the code of the Oracle technology in the master) of the master repository objects are referenced in the work repository."

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E14571_01/integrate.1111/e12643/export_import.htm

Regards,
                  Michael Rainey
                  • 6. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                    User_ABC
                    Do i need to create models and iport knowledge mudules in prod?
                    Where can i see interfaces in EM or in odiconsole?
                    Do i need to create agent with port 8001 in prod?
                    • 7. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                      Dear SSz,

As I have mentioned above..*You need to import only the connectivity items(Physical Schema and data server , Logical Schema, context ) and the Scenario for your production env,.*

No need to import/create Knowledge Modules or Models in production.. The scenario for your project has all these necessary information embedded within it. so importing your scenario is enough. this is sort of the exe file in odi which has the executable code

When you execute your scenario in production , you will see it running on the operator, step by step (you will be able to view the entire code that is running).. You cannot edit its code like in designer . Operator is only for running and execution. If you need to make a change, make it in your Dev, regenerate the scenario and re-import it in Prod.

You can create agent on any available port of your choice..Doesnt matter. Hope it helps..Please mark if helpful

Edited by: 922636 on Sep 13, 2012 12:17 AM
                      • 8. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                        User_ABC
                        Thanks 922636 u r very much clear.
                        How to export context? i dont see export option when i right click Global context.
                        If i execute scenarios using agent with port 8001 will the interfaces visible in odiconsole and EM?
                        • 9. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                          Dear SSZ,

Use OdiExportObject to export any ODI objects.. Use the following command line in your bin:-

startcmd.(sh/bat) OdiExportObject -CLASS_NAME=SnpContext -I_OBJECT=<object_id_of_your_context> -FILE_NAME=<give_the_full_path_along_with_file_name>

To locate Object id of your context, Open your context and go to the versions tab. You will find the Internal Id. This is the unique identifier.

Hope it helps...Mark it correct/helpful if you find it useful..

Yes your executions will be visible in both ways as you mentioned.

Edited by: 922636 on Sep 13, 2012 1:45 AM
                          • 10. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                            bethebest

What if you have CDC enabled for a Model?  How do you start Journalizing?

Thanks..

Jz

• 11. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                              Phanikanth

Hi

Can you please descript your requirement.

ODI package deployment of where in linux OS or another windows OS. ?

Regards,

Phanikanth

• 12. Re: Steps involved in ODI package or scenario deployment
                                PeakIndicators_Alastair

bethebest wrote:

What if you have CDC enabled for a Model?  How do you start Journalizing?

Thanks..

Jz

Have you even read the documentation before posting on here ?

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17904_01/integrate.1111/e12643/data_capture.htm#CFHCJBIB

I'll copy and paste it for as I can use Google :

To automate CDC configuration:

1.   Create a new package.
                                2.   Drag and drop from the Models accordion the model or datastore you want to journalize into the package Diagram tab. A new package step appears.
                                3.   Double-Click the step icon in the package diagram. The properties inspector for this steps opens.
                                4.   In the Type list, select Journalizing Model/Datastore.
                                5.   Check the Start box to start the journals.
                                6.   Check the Add Subscribers box, then enter the list of subscribers into the Subscribers group.
                                7.   Enter the first subscriber in the subscriber field, and click the Add button to add it to the Subscribers list. Repeat this operation for all your subscribers.
                                8.   From the File menu, select Save.

When this package is executed in a context, it starts the journals according to the model configuration and creates the specified subscribers in this context.

It is possible to split subscriber and journal management into different steps and packages. Deleting subscribers and stopping journals can be automated in the same manner.

Suggest you read the BASICS first.