This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 3:45 AM by jwenting RSS

certification

csckid Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am doing an online certification course about mongodb for java developers

I was wondering from where could I do more of this type of courses like java ee, jsf, spring certification course for free.

Next question is about database.. If you create an index of a database table; after 1 month do you need to re index with the same key again?

• 1. Re: certification
    rp0428 Guru

When you get up in the morning you put on your tennis shoes and tie your shoelaces.

After two hours do you need to retie your shoelaces?

• 2. Re: certification
    jwenting Journeyer

rp0428 wrote:

When you get up in the morning you put on your tennis shoes and tie your shoelaces.

After two hours do you need to retie your shoelaces?

usually

That said, OP makes no sense. But coming from someone who thinks he's going to get free certification training, that's not unexpected.

Of course OP probably lacks the basic understanding of how databases, let alone the universe, work to comprehend your answer.

• 3. Re: certification
    939520 Explorer

Rather than certification classes, I suggest you read book after book instead on whatever topic you're interested in and work through their examples. As for the shoelace conundrum, I suggest loafers

• 4. Re: certification
    jwenting Journeyer

what, work?

Rather than getting everything handed to you on a silver platter?

• 5. Re: certification
    csckid Newbie

correct me if I am wrong..

Indexing creates some seperate table and generates a list. Search operation is done on that list.

So, re-indexing has to be done only when the database gets slow again. The database will give slow select when there are many data on the table that are not indexed.

As for the certification, I did a course recently name 'Mongodb for java developers' by 10gen. The course was interesting.

• 6. Re: certification
    EJP Guru

> correct me if I am wrong

You're wrong.

> Indexing creates some seperate table and generates a list. Search operation is done on that list.

Yes and yes.

> So, re-indexing has to be done only when the database gets slow again.

No. Non sequitur. Creating a table is not the only time at which the index gets modified.Every time you update the table the index gets modified. You haven't read anything to the contrary.

> The database will give slow select when there are many data on the table that are not indexed.

Yes. Connection with previous statements: zero.

• 7. Re: certification
    jwenting Journeyer

> correct me if I am wrong..

you're wrong

> Indexing creates some seperate table and generates a list. Search operation is done on that list.

Could be, maybe, depending on the database system implementation. Irrelevant though.

> So, re-indexing has to be done only when the database gets slow again

you're wrong. Re-indexing needs to be done only when something goes wrong and the automated systems that keep the indices up to date fail.

Performance degradation might be a sign of that, but don't have to be.

> The database will give slow select when there are many data on the table that are not indexed.

So index on the most relevant columns...

> As for the certification, I did a course recently name 'Mongodb for java developers' by 10gen.

if it taught you what you're assuming here, you did yourself a disservice following that course.

Of course anything to do with mongodb is a waste of effort.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points