7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 2:00 AM by Pacmann RSS

Copy rows of data in the same table

Below is the structure of the table I am working I would like to all the value with ID=1 into new rows. The ID should become 2 with the same data.

I am using below query to accomplish, but getting error.

Insert into hsp_column_detail_item (DETAIL_ID, VALUE, POSITION, GENERATION, OPERATOR, LABEL)

Select 2, VALUE, POSITION, GENERATION, OPERATOR, LABEL

from

hsp_column_detail_item

where

detail_id =1

ORA-02291: integrity constraint (PLANSAMP.FK_HSP_DETAIL_ID) violated - parent key not found

Columns

Detail_ID     YINTEGER    Frequency   
      VALUE     YFLOAT         None   
      POSITION     YINTEGER    None   
      GENERATION     YINTEGER    None   
      OPERATOR     YINTEGER    None   
      LABEL     YVARCHAR2 (1500 Byte)    None       

Sample data:

Detail_ID  Value Position  Generation  Operator  label

15000          0               1     abc

13001          0               1     def

12002          0               1     efg

Indexes

Index Name           Column Name

Col_Detail_Item      Detail_ID

Col_Detail_Item      Position
        • 1. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table
          JustinCave

The error you're getting seems pretty clear.  There is a foreign key on this table that is being violated.  Based on the name of the foreign key, my guess is that this is a child table and DETAIL_ID is the foreign key (though that implies that you have no primary key on this table which is almost certainly a mistake in your data model).  The foreign key prevents you from having rows in this child table that have a DETAIL_ID that is not in the parent table and there is no row in the parent table with a DETAIL_ID of 2. 

My guess is that you need to add a row to the parent table where the DETAIL_ID is 2 before you insert the row into the child table.

• 2. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table

Thank you Justin. As you can understand that I am not much familiar with SQL. These tables are system generated and I am trying to add extra rows of data from the backend.

There are 2 tables HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL and HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL_ITEM in which I would like to add copy rows from the same table.

HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL is the parent table with primary key but I get this error when I try to insert new row in this table

Insert into hsp_column_detail (DETAIL_ID, PLAN_TYPE, DIM1, DIM2, DIM3, DIM4, DIM5, DIM6, DIM7, DIM8, DIM9, DIM10, DIM11, DIM12, DIM13, DIM14, DIM15, DIM16, DIM17, DIM18, DIM19, DIM20)

select 2, PLAN_TYPE, DIM1, DIM2, DIM3, DIM4, DIM5, DIM6, DIM7, DIM8, DIM9, DIM10, DIM11, DIM12, DIM13, DIM14, DIM15, DIM16, DIM17, DIM18, DIM19, DIM20 from hsp_column_detail

where

dim1=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='Actual' and object_type=31) and

dim5=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='Working' and object_type=35) and

dim7=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='FY13' and object_type=38) and

DETAIL_ID = '3'

Error at line 1

ORA-00001: unique constraint (EPM_PLAN_PLANSAMP.PK_HSP_COL_DETAIL) violated

• 3. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table
              Pacmann

Hi,

Which is the PK_HSP_COL_DETAIL primary key ? (DETAIL_ID ?)

You are trying to insert a row for an existing key... check the existing line for this key, then decide you want to use this one for the item table or a new one with another PK...

• 4. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table

Detail_ID is the primary key.  I would like to use Detail_ID for for HSP_COL_DETAIL item.  How can i make it work  ?

Index Name                   Unique    Logging    Degree    Column Name   Order    Position     Index Owner

PK_HSP_COL_DETAIL   Y             YES           1          DETAIL_ID       Asc      1              EPM_PLAN_PLANSAMP

• 5. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table
                  Pacmann

Look for the detail_id that suits you in the HSP_COL_DETAIL table, and use this detail_id for the inser in HSP_COL_DETAIL_ITEM.

If this line does not exist, INSERT a new line IN HSP_COL_DETAIL with a new detail_id (that is not used yet), and also use this detail_id for the insert in HSP_COL_DETAIL_ITEM.

• 6. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table

Hello Pacmann, Thank you for your help.

When I run this I get

Insert Into HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL ( DETAIL_ID , PLAN_TYPE , DIM1 , DIM2 , DIM3 , DIM4 , DIM5 , DIM6 ,

DIM7 , DIM8 , DIM9 , DIM10 , DIM11 , DIM12 , DIM13 , DIM14 , DIM15 ,

DIM16 , DIM17 , DIM18 , DIM19 , DIM20 )

Select 5 , PLAN_TYPE , DIM1 , DIM2 , DIM3 , DIM4 , DIM5 , DIM6 ,

DIM16 , DIM17 , DIM18 , DIM19 , DIM20

From HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL

Where detail_id in

(select detail_id from hsp_column_detail where

dim1=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='Actual' and object_type=31) and

dim5=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='Working' and object_type=35) and

dim7=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='FY13' and object_type=38)

);

Ora-00001: unique constraint (PLANSAMP.PK_HSP_COL_DETAIL) voilated

But if use the below then I can create the new rows. Can I not use sub-queries in where statement for insert command ?

Insert Into HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL ( DETAIL_ID , PLAN_TYPE , DIM1 , DIM2 , DIM3 , DIM4 , DIM5 , DIM6 ,

DIM16 , DIM17 , DIM18 , DIM19 , DIM20 )

Select 5 , PLAN_TYPE , DIM1 , DIM2 , DIM3 , DIM4 , DIM5 , DIM6 ,

DIM16 , DIM17 , DIM18 , DIM19 , DIM20

From HSP_COLUMN_DETAIL

Where detail_id = 2

• 7. Re: Copy rows of data in the same table
                      Pacmann

866532 a écrit:

Where detail_id in

(select detail_id from hsp_column_detail where

dim7=(select object_id from hsp_object where object_name='FY13' and object_type=38)

);

Ora-00001: unique constraint (PLANSAMP.PK_HSP_COL_DETAIL) voilated

In order not to violate the unique constraint, two requirements :

- The detail_id 5 you are inserting should not already exist in the table

- Since you are forcing this detail_id, your subquery should only return one line : so you can write "where detail id = (select...)" and :

- either the dim1 / dim5 / dim7 filters are selective enough

- or you make some decision on which detail_id to duplicate : max(detail_id) or min(detail_id) or any other way yo select the right / arbitrary one