This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2013 12:44 AM by DerHobbit RSS

Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml

DerHobbit Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

we've got some databases running in an Oracle 11.2 RAC environment with ASM.

XML DB for FTP is activated and a connection can be established.

The documentation recommends to connect with user SYSTEM, which I don't understand,

since the target is the ASM instance and not a user's database.

As far as I know there is only user SYS (and one SNMP user) defined in ASM -

and in fact I get remotely connected to ASM with user SYS and its corresponding password.

The user SYSTEM ist defined in each of our four user databases that are clients to only one ASM instance;

each has got a different password and so I ask, which user SYSTEM should be used for FTP to ASM data ?

Is there any documentation about that ?  I couldn't find any so far.

Thanks and kind regards,

Bernd

• 1. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

XDB (XML db component of Oracle), is a database component. Nothing to do with the ASM instance.

The database registers WebDav/http/ftp endpoints of the XDB services with the local Listener (as raw endpoints). A user connection to the endpoint is handed of to a database dispatcher process. For authentication, a  database schema name and password are required. A shared server process services the user request.

The data of the database, can reside on ASM disks.

ASM however plays no role in this XDB access. It does not authenticate the connection. It does not serve as an I/O proxy, reading the data from ASM disks on behalf of the shared server process.

• 2. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml
    DerHobbit Newbie

Thanks, Billy, for your answer to clarify that DB and not ASM credentials are used here.

One question remains open: Which of the 4 DBs is the target for the authentification ?

Can one figure that out or must I try all SYSTEM's passwords ?

• 3. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml

There is a single SYSTEM account on a database - irrespective of how many RAC instances that database has.

The TNS connection string used, specifies the service to connect to, and thus the database.

• 4. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml
    DerHobbit Newbie

Misunderstanding: There are 4 databases running in every RAC cluster; naturally all have ONE system user but all with different passwords.

I don't use a TNS connections string from a remote FTP client, so it may be used internally - where do I find the right one ?

• 5. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml

Then that will depend on the IP address used by the FTP client.

Have a look at http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e23094/appaman.htm for details on how configure XDB.

Keep in mind that XDB does not listen on the server IP and port configured. It registers itself with the local listener as a service. You connect (via FTP client for example) to the listener (on the port configured). The listener then hands off the connection to a dispatcher for XDB to service it.

Looking at the listener's status, will show you what services have been registered (including the XBD FTP service).

What I'm not sure of, is what happens when there are 2 local databases on the same server, configured with the same FTP port. The listener cannot listen on the same port for 2 different XDB services, as how would the listener know which XDB service the client wants to connect to?

• 6. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml
    DerHobbit Newbie

You made this case clearer to me now, but your last question ist exactly the point in question.

Meanwhile I found the password for the correct database, i.e. "sogabo"  (there are only 2, not 4 DBs configured).

Here is the output from the listener status command, that maybe can help:

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production on 27-JUN-2013 15:48:25

Copyright (c) 1991, 2011, Oracle.  All rights reserved.

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=)(PORT=1521))

STATUS of the LISTENER

------------------------

Alias                     LISTENER

Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 11.2.0.3.0 - Production

Start Date                27-JUN-2013 13:50:14

Uptime                    0 days 1 hr. 58 min. 11 sec

Trace Level               off

Security                  ON: Local OS Authentication

SNMP                      OFF

Listener Parameter File   /u01/app/11.2.0/grid/network/admin/listener.ora

Listener Log File         /u01/app/11.2.0/grid/network/log/listener.log

Listening Endpoints Summary...

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=ipc)(KEY=LISTENER)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.115.201.141)(PORT=1521)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=10.115.201.143)(PORT=1521)))

(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=borac41-loga.gkdruhr.de)(PORT=7787))(Presentation=FTP)(Session=RAW))

Services Summary...

Service "+ASM" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "+ASM1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "SYS$SYS.KUPC$C_1_20130627140309.TOGABO" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "togabo1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "SYS$SYS.KUPC$S_1_20130627140309.TOGABO" has 1 instance(s).

Service "sogabo" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "sogabo1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "sogaboXDB" has 1 instance(s).

Instance "sogabo1", status READY, has 1 handler(s) for this service...

Service "togabo" has 1 instance(s).

Service "togaboXDB" has 1 instance(s).

The command completed successfully

• 7. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml

The proper approach would be to have sogabo and togabo databases use different ports as XDB endpoints, e.g. 7771 and 7772.

You should also ask whether 2 (or more) database instances on a single server is the correct approach? And if that server does have the resources and capacity to run 2 database instances, why that is not done via virtualisation on bare iron (running a hypervisor)?

In my view, there are not many sound technical reasons for running 2 or more databases on a single server. And many valid reasons why this is unscalable, problematic and inhibit performance. Multiple databases per server only make sense IMO, when virtualising.

• 8. Re: Which credentials to be used for ftp login to asm content via xml
    DerHobbit Newbie

There are mostly historical reasons for using 1 server that has up to 8 database instances, because we don't have 1 or 2 big enterprise applications,

but many mostly small ones running in one database. Since some must have a different or separate environment (i.e. character set, test, etc.),

we needed new databases but no separate hardware or licenses were available.

That principle was copied to newer virtual environments running OVM, but there are in fact technical restrictions that limit the number of instances

per guest machine. The size of those databases is normally too small to have buildup an own server (virt. or phys.)

Going back to XML, it now works for me as it is. Since we only need FTP access to ASM and not to the target DB, so one listener port should be sufficient.

Maybe the first DB which has XML installed with port 7787 is used by its listener and follup up installations probably have failed on that port.

Thanks for your comments the made those things clearer to me.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points