1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply: Jun 28, 2013 4:57 PM by Dude! RSS

Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?

Hemant K Chitale

I get the feeling that there are fewer new threads (called "discussions" now ?) being posted since the upgrade.  I've been looking at the Recovery Manager (RMAN) and the Database - General Questions forums (or spaces as they are now called).  Also, fewer responses to threads/discussions ?

Hemant K Chitale

• 1. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Yes - agree - I think the navigation with this UI is not intuitive - there is a lot more "bling" and wasted screen real estate than the old UI. It will take some time for regulars to get used to this UI to get back to the volume of posts that we saw in the old UI

Srini

• 2. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
            Marwim

I can speak only for myself: I have no problem with the UI itself (ok, too much colours and whitespace Re: We are upgrading OTN Forums!  This is the place for questions and comments.) but I still have problems with the editor. Instead of a simple editor where you can apply formatting after you pasted some text, it tries to interpret your content and distorts the text into e.g. a table when I simply want to paste some query output.

Code formatting: empty lines in a code example get lost, making it less readable and breaking references to line numbers

Sometimes marking a text as quote does not work because not the highlighted text is quoted, but a new empty "subquote" in a quote at the beginning of the text is inserted.

I still want to participate in this forum, but it is much less fun than before.

Marcus

• 3. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
              Nicolas.Gasparotto

For a moment, I thought that was just me.

But what about the traffic on the Feedback forum ? I think that is one of the most active one !

Nicolas.

• 4. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                BluShadow

I agree Marwim, the editor is a little too glitchy to post technical posts.

Obviously we all know the syntax highlighting is an issue as it doesn't use a fixed width font, and I think admin are already looking to fix that in the next 'patch'.

But as you say, the other 'features' of the edit can make it hard to make a sensible post, and very often we don't get what we created once it's posted.

It would also be nice to have the 'advanced editor' features available as the default when replying, especially considering we're a technical forum and the need to format text with different fonts or use syntax highlighting or quote certain things is the sort of things we'll be doing in almost every post.   The fact we have to keep switching to the advanced editor just adds extra work (that in itself can screw up any code etc. that's already been entered in the normal editor)

I don't mind the general look and feel of the forums, it's certainly more 'up to date', the searching is obviously better, and I'm getting used to the 'spaces' now.

I think, when the editor issues are sorted out, so that people can post more easily and really get a WYSIWYG interface, then people will start posting more.  At the moment it just seems like hard work (and I've got enough of that from my manager.  )

• 5. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                  Marwim

But what about the traffic on the Feedback forum ? I think that is one of the most active one !

Yes, but mostly complaints about the new forum :-)

• 6. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                    Karthick2003

90% of the time I use only two things here

1) Content Tab, To view questions

2) Editor, To respond

Both of them have made things little difficult for me. And yes my ability to respond did come down.

Content Table

The basic issue i have here is i cant keep track of the threads that i visited. This is a very important thing that we need to have to be able to participate in a discussion. Some time i ask for a more details in some thread and go around looking other threads and finally get completely lost and could not find the thread where i asked for more details. In that case i have to go to my profile and pick the my recently answered questions and look into it.

Editor

The forum i participate i need to post lot of code. And formatting is a nightmare. Currently to format my code i do this

1. Go to Use advanced editor

2. Select my code, and change the font to fixed size font

3. Select >> from the toolbar and select Quote

Still the issue is the content is wrapped by default and the code is all messed up especially when we post execution plan. For that i use the <pre> tag suggested in this forum sometime back.

Overall its a pain.

The only good thing is that the administrators have said they know all these issue and it will get fixed.

• 7. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                      Hemant K Chitale

>The basic issue i have here is i cant keep track of the threads that i visited

I use the "Communications" tab.  It shows (with a number) how many threads (that I participate in) have been updated since I last refreshed it and when, I click on the tab, highlights the updated threads.

Hemant K Chitale

• 8. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                        Hemant K Chitale

Formatting is a pain.  You would have thought that fixed-width code would be an absolute requirement in an *Oracle Technology* forum where SQL / PLSQL / Java / etc code would be posted.  It should have been a mandatory requirement.

I have to click on HTML and insert <pre> and </pre> tags --- once I am in HTML mode, I can't return to the normal editor.

Hemant K Chitale

• 9. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                          Purvesh K

The Communications tab is broken. It does not mark the Threads as Read even after reading the updates. Even the "Mark All Read" does not work. So, yes, Complaints are dominant and I think it will be for few weeks/months until the upgrade stabilizes.

• 10. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                            Nicolas.Gasparotto

HemantKChitale wrote:

>The basic issue i have here is i cant keep track of the threads that i visited

I use the "Communications" tab.  It shows (with a number) how many threads (that I participate in) have been updated since I last refreshed it and when, I click on the tab, highlights the updated threads.

Hemant K Chitale

If only it would work... how can we knows which ones have really been updated since the number of unread discussions keep increasing... I personnally cannot remember single discussion I already read.

Plus, when you want to reply directly from there, you have no the so-called quote button, not more than any formatting option (working or not). And also, you do not see your own posts (Marwin replied to me here above, but I even did not see to which of my previous posts) !?!?!?  (for all this, I had to go to the discussion itself)

Inconsistency can mainly explain the decreasing of participation here.

Nicolas.

Should I say as already reported somewhere else, the Overview/Content tab are dramatically out of sync ? I even don't see my last post in overview tab... so if some people check only Overview tab, they'll miss a lot. Message was edited by: NicolasGasparotto

• 11. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                              Dude!

I used <pre> and </pre> as an alternative to the {code} tags in the previous forum a lot. It turns out that the forum update did not recognize the <pre> tags and instead converted the text, e.g. --downloadonly now reads downloadonly. I cannot understand how the forum upgrade could not pay attention to this. I guess that 70 % of my previous code postings have been destroyed for good.

I have no other explanation for the many easy to realize and very obvious issues, other than Oracle apparently did not care or did not think it was worthwhile. Reminds me of a work experience, where IT management was successful, for reasons it was inventing and making up, to finally shove down a product to the users, who previously rejected the product because it was unreliable and mostly useless. I guess this is how things work nowadays.

• 12. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                                APC

I agree about the formatting. 

The single biggest problem with the old forum was that the tags to format code were so obscure.  Even now I find it hard to believe that the Forum admins couldn't tweak the displayed help menus to show the relevant info.  After all, Java developers can continually banging on about extensibility, soft coding and configuration files.

So I find it even harder to believe that the new forum software doesn't even support code formatting, and instead expects us to choose a non-proportional font.  How on earth are we supposed to explain that to the noobs?  At least we could show the {code} tag.

I'm sure the people who undertook the upgrade and are very nice and capable.  All this "social" stuff is very 2013.  But the absence of a code format option demonstrates a fundamental failure to understand the real purpose of the forums for the people who use it.

Cheers, APC

• 13. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                                  Dude!

I never liked the previous formatting styles. I found the way formatting was done in the old software just awkward. And it wasn't useful for any off-line content. If only they had used RTF or HTML instead.

I think there is no real reason for having a {code} tag anymore. Why not simply using the <pre> tag or have an option in the advanced editor that puts a <pre> tag and applies a mono-spaced font around selected text, without the fancy line numbers, etc. (plain). The forum editor obviously filters content when pasting text into its buffer, e.g. html. Why could it not interpret the pasting of <pre> tags in the full editor mode?

• 14. Re: Have we noticed fewer discussions being posted since the upgrade ?
                                    Marwim

A {code} tag has a semantic meaning - it marks the content as code - while <pre> is for display only, meaning "don't add additional line breaks". That text within <pre> is displayed fixed width is not necessary, it's only a convention from the early days.

The old editor might not have been a fancy point and click interface, but at least it was reliable and had a real preview. Except from syntax highlighting it had all I needed to write well formatted postings.

Call me old fashioned, but I think that a limited choice of markup forces you to concentrate on the really important things.

1 2 Previous Next