5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2013 9:55 AM by FreddieEssex RSS

Archive logs are being shipped, but are not applied

Hi everyone,

Some strange things are happening when I try to configure an Oracle Data Guard setup. Currently I am at the point where the configuration has been completed, and I just need to sync the standby database to the primary one. I can see in the log files that the archive logs are being shipped, but they are not applied on the standby system.

If I run "recover standby database;" manually in sqlplus I can see that it is trying to apply an archive log which is way too old (ORA-00279: change 9656498443 generated at 04/29/2008 08:45:08 needed for thread 1).

In the alert log I can also see this error: Warning: Recovery target destination is in a sibling branch of the controlfile checkpoint. Recovery will only recover changes to datafiles.

At this point I was thinking that the standby database might be on a different incarnation compared to the primary, but this is not the case, they are both in incarnation 6:

6       6       MVF      4023175798       CURRENT 48493546257 13-06-21

Does anyone have an idea how this could happen, and how I could fix this issue?

Thanks, JM.

• 1. Re: Archive logs are being shipped, but are not applied
          FreddieEssex

I don't think your duplicate database to your standby has worked correctly.

What version of Oracle and how did you create your standby.  Provide the steps.  Do you have the log of your duplicate database command?

I suspect you'll have to re-run your duplicate.

• 2. Re: Archive logs are being shipped, but are not applied

I haven't used the duplicate command in RMAN, I used a standby control file, crosschecked the backupset, and restored the backup on the standby server.

• 3. Re: Archive logs are being shipped, but are not applied
              FreddieEssex

Okay I see.  That should still have worked fine.  So what steps did you follow in creating your standby?

Do you have a log of your restore and recover? and what version of Oracle?

• 4. Re: Archive logs are being shipped, but are not applied

The restore did not cause any errors to be displayed, so I assumed everything was ok. I don't have a log file from this restore. The issues happen when I try to recover the standby database, at that point, sqlplus is asking me for a very old archive log with a sequence number that does not belong to the incarnation the database is on.

One thing I think might cause this behaviour is that the backup on the primary database is incremental, it will do a full backup on sunday and the other days it will do incrementals. It is possible that there were still some leftovers of the level 0 backup in the recovery area that were made before the resetlogs happened on the primary. I have deleted those, and now scheduled a level 0 backup to run tonight.

I will run the restore again tomorrow and see if this helps. Oracle version is 11.2.0.2

• 5. Re: Archive logs are being shipped, but are not applied
                  FreddieEssex

The restore did not cause any errors to be displayed, so I assumed everything was ok.

That's fair enough. 

One thing I think might cause this behaviour is that the backup on the primary database is incremental,

Yes...that may be an issue.  Best bet is to re-run your standby creation.....as you are doing.

With version 11gR2 you also have the option of duplicate from active database which negates the need to copy your backupsets over to do the restore:  I find it a much simpler process than the rman backup, copy files over, restore and then recover process.

http://www.oracle-base.com/articles/11g/data-guard-setup-11gr2.php

Something worth considering.