I don't think your duplicate database to your standby has worked correctly.
What version of Oracle and how did you create your standby. Provide the steps. Do you have the log of your duplicate database command?
I suspect you'll have to re-run your duplicate.
I haven't used the duplicate command in RMAN, I used a standby control file, crosschecked the backupset, and restored the backup on the standby server.
Okay I see. That should still have worked fine. So what steps did you follow in creating your standby?
Do you have a log of your restore and recover? and what version of Oracle?
The restore did not cause any errors to be displayed, so I assumed everything was ok. I don't have a log file from this restore. The issues happen when I try to recover the standby database, at that point, sqlplus is asking me for a very old archive log with a sequence number that does not belong to the incarnation the database is on.
One thing I think might cause this behaviour is that the backup on the primary database is incremental, it will do a full backup on sunday and the other days it will do incrementals. It is possible that there were still some leftovers of the level 0 backup in the recovery area that were made before the resetlogs happened on the primary. I have deleted those, and now scheduled a level 0 backup to run tonight.
I will run the restore again tomorrow and see if this helps. Oracle version is 188.8.131.52
1 person found this helpful
The restore did not cause any errors to be displayed, so I assumed everything was ok.
That's fair enough.
One thing I think might cause this behaviour is that the backup on the primary database is incremental,
Yes...that may be an issue. Best bet is to re-run your standby creation.....as you are doing.
With version 11gR2 you also have the option of duplicate from active database which negates the need to copy your backupsets over to do the restore: I find it a much simpler process than the rman backup, copy files over, restore and then recover process.
Something worth considering.