0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 29, 2013 12:09 AM by Zachary1234 RSS

Obtaining the size of any object in memory easily.

Zachary1234

-I have tried to use the instrumentation api in java 1.6.0, but found that I sinply can't

get it to work, certainly outside of a jar file, since I don't understand how to set up

the System.setProperty("property","value") calls correctly to avoid using any keyboard input arguments.

At any rate,  I have discovered the DataFlavor class, which I leverage as follows:

/*

Byte item = new Byte((byte)1);

DataFlavor dataFlavor = new DataFlavor(item.getClass(),"java.lang.Byte");

ByteArrayOutputStream byteOutputStream = new ByteArrayOutputStream();

ObjectOutputStream objectOutputStream = new ObjectOutputStream(byteOutputStream);

dataFlavor.writeExternal(objectOutputStream);

objectOutputStream.flush();  

objectOutputStream.close();

int total  = byteOutputStream.toByteArray().length;

out.println("number of characters: " + item.length());

out.println("Number of bytes: " + total);

*/

-How exactly does this put an object into the ByteArrayOutputStream?

Can I get the bytes and count them for a good representation of an object's size in memory?

However, is this doing a shallow or a deep object write?

Does it include anything contained inside annotations or not?

-In terms of 1024 bytes per kilobyte, and 8 bits per byte,

how many bit (full) may be stored in a java byte typed variable, as a check?

Will it always use a 9th bit to store + or - anyway (always a 9th for +) ?