This discussion is archived
1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 146 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 11:35 AM by jgarry Go to original post RSS
  • 90. Re: Update on site issues
    9423755 Explorer
    Currently Being Moderated

Grow up.

• 91. Re: Update on site issues
    Marwim Expert
    And as for "moaning" and "whining".  Okay mate, you think it's moaning that a multibillion dollar company decides to replace its own forum that was functioning perfectly well with a lame-a** pathetically executed replacement that fails on so many levels.

Nice try, nice ad hominem, very grown up of you Sir.

Most users here are aware of the failings of the new forum software. We try to describe them and I think that the forum team it taking efforts to stabilise performance and reliability. "Whining wussies" is for those who complain in 24 pt red letters with ~200 Angry-smilies. This is not professional behaviour.

BTW: The "old" forum was anything but functioning perfectly

• 92. Re: Update on site issues
    ATD Guru

Hi

Firstly, the site is slow again today

Secondly, I don't really see the problem either.  Questions appear on both the Overview and Content tabs - the Overview one shows the Latest Activity and the Content one shows all threads.  As someone who would respond to questions, I would look at the Content tab anyway (or my Dashboard).  The only thing that is missing, perhaps, from a responder's point of view is the "Show unanswered questions only" option that we used to have.  If a question doesn't appear in the Overview tab, there's always the "Show More" option at the bottom and you can keep clicking that until the question is found - or, more likely, go to the Contact tab and search/browse

Andy

• 93. Re: Update on site issues
    9423755 Explorer

"We have updated the FAQ here, and have a new thread with updates on known issues here."

Just now, I timed it. Clicked on the above link ("here") to get to this page, to see exactly how long it would take before the page returned. It took 57 seconds. Nearly a whole minute, just to return to this page.

Is this whingeing? Is this moaning?  Do you guys think this is acceptable performance, this long after the rollout of this new forum?  Would this be acceptable to your own customers?  If your customer said to you "the users aren't happy, pages are taking a minute to load", would you say to him/her, "quit whingeing for god's sake.. You're just a moaning whining wussie".

I suggest you all grow up.

• 94. Re: Update on site issues
    9423755 Explorer

Marwim wrote:

And as for "moaning" and "whining".  Okay mate, you think it's moaning that a multibillion dollar company decides to replace its own forum that was functioning perfectly well with a lame-a** pathetically executed replacement that fails on so many levels.

Nice try, nice ad hominem, very grown up of you Sir.

Most users here are aware of the failings of the new forum software. We try to describe them and I think that the forum team it taking efforts to stabilise performance and reliability. "Whining wussies" is for those who complain in 24 pt red letters with ~200 Angry-smilies. This is not professional behaviour.

BTW: The "old" forum was anything but functioning perfectly

""Whining wussies" is for those who complain in 24 pt red letters with ~200 Angry-smilies. This is not professional behaviour."

Well, let's see now, how many responses has anybody had from sonya or anyone else at Oracle who is dealing with this travesty that their issues are a) even acknowledged as an issue, b) known, c) being looked at? 

Maybe it looks unprofessional on my part, but hey, who cares, it was late, it's the umpteenth time I have this issue, I've posted issues before, nobody bothered to respond, and at least it's got many people's attention which my other posts did not, which, to me, means it's done what it was intended to do, viz, grab people's attention. 

Many, if not nearly all people who have posted issues on this thread, have not as far as I can tell received even a cursory acknowledgement; I've not seen a response to say "sure, we're looking at that", "sure, it's being worked on", "thanks for bringing that to our attention" or whatever.  It just seems to me like this thread is a dumping ground for people's discontents.

If they at Oracle see it the way you see it, we're all just a bunch of whingeing chumps with nothing better to do than to moan and whinge.

• 95. Re: Update on site issues
    9423755 Explorer

"the Overview one shows the Latest Activity and the Content one shows all threads"

Except, the Overview does NOT show latest activity because when I post a question it appears in the Content page but NOT in the Overview page; kind of ironic considering the Overview page frames forum content under the heading "Latest Activity".  Perhaps they should rename it to "Some of the Latest Activity..but not including recently posted questions".

Why is everyone making this so difficult?  When somebody posts a question, it should be visible in both pages, immediately.  Is this too much to ask? 

Jason

• 96. Re: Update on site issues
    Christian Erlinger Guru

Jason_942375 wrote:

"We have updated the FAQ here, and have a new thread with updates on known issues here."

Just now, I timed it. Clicked on the above link ("here") to get to this page, to see exactly how long it would take before the page returned. It took 57 seconds. Nearly a whole minute, just to return to this page.

Is this whingeing? Is this moaning?  Do you guys think this is acceptable performance, this long after the rollout of this new forum?

You most certainly have solved performance (and other) problems yourself, so you surely are aware that if there would be a simple solution it would have already been implemented...But sometimes solving problems takes time, and the only thing you can do is have patience. I am sure someone is working on the problems.

If your customer said to you "the users aren't happy, pages are taking a minute to load", would you say to him/her, "quit whingeing for god's sake.. You're just a moaning whining wussie".

No, I'd tell him to be patient and I am working on the problem. It won't go faster if I'd have to deliver progress reports. It won't go faster if we'd have progress meetings once a day. It won't go faster if to the P1 problem the customer would add 10 not-really-P1 problems as I will look at them when the P1 problem is solved. It won't go faster if the customer would decide to terrorize me while doing my job by constantly calling me and complaining about their problem. The statement would be the same: I am working on it. I could of course tell them a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo, but except this is wasting everyones time this has no purpose. (I could of course also foreward their calls to the fax machine...)

I suggest you all grow up.

I like to remain as childish as I am now, I hope you don't mind. I however suggest to you to have a little bit more patience ;-).

cheers

• 97. Re: Update on site issues
    9423755 Explorer

Sorry Christian, your standards and expectations are for me too low.  How much money does Oracle have?  They could throw a few boxes (CPUs, hardware) at the performance issue as a brute force temporary solution at the drop of a hat, whilst working on the underlying causes.  Once they fixed the underlying causes they could repurpose the temporary additional hardware for use elsewhere. We're talking about a company with literally billions of dollars in the bank, making millions of dollars profit a day. How much is a few servers and discs going to cost them, for use for a few weeks, until they solve the performance issues? Or do they consider that such a use of resources is just "not worth it"? In other words, we, the thousands of users of these forums, "are just not worth it".

• 98. Re: Update on site issues
    Christian Erlinger Guru

Sorry Christian, your standards and expectations are for me too low.  How much money does Oracle have? They could throw a few boxes (CPUs, hardware) at the performance issue as a brute force temporary solution at the drop of a hat, whilst working on the underlying causes.

Ah of course. Now if one woman can deliver one baby in 9 months, then most certainly 9 women must be able to deliver one baby in 1 month, right?

Or do they consider that such a use of resources is just "not worth it"? In other words, we, the thousands of users of these forums, "are just not worth it".

I don't know about you, but I am not paying to use the oracle forums. You are acting if forums.oracle.com is Oracles #1 business critical application and Oracle can't run a second without it. Let me assure you: it isn't. What's the stress all about? You do know there are other oracle related resources out there, if the Oracle Forums are responding slowly (or are sometimes down like we had some time ago) then I simply go somewhere else to find answers if needed. There is also the possibility to raise SRs with oracle support for critical problems you can't find solutions or nobody is able to help you or the forums are down. It is that simple.

If the problems you try to solve with forums.oracle.com are not worth a SR with support then I suggest you do the same as I'll do now: the weather is nice today, so I'll grab some beer, get on my bike, ride to the swimming lake and take a sunbath with a good book, my MP3 player and some beer.

cheers

• 99. Re: Update on site issues
    UserMB Explorer

hello

the site is still very slow;

moreover i noticed that the content and overview is visible only when logged on

this is the case e..g when i go to datawarehouse

is this intended?

rgds

• 100. Re: Update on site issues
    9423755 Explorer

ChristianErlinger wrote:

Sorry Christian, your standards and expectations are for me too low.  How much money does Oracle have? They could throw a few boxes (CPUs, hardware) at the performance issue as a brute force temporary solution at the drop of a hat, whilst working on the underlying causes.

Ah of course. Now if one woman can deliver one baby in 9 months, then most certainly 9 women must be able to deliver one baby in 1 month, right?

Or do they consider that such a use of resources is just "not worth it"? In other words, we, the thousands of users of these forums, "are just not worth it".

I don't know about you, but I am not paying to use the oracle forums. You are acting if forums.oracle.com is Oracles #1 business critical application and Oracle can't run a second without it. Let me assure you: it isn't. What's the stress all about? You do know there are other oracle related resources out there, if the Oracle Forums are responding slowly (or are sometimes down like we had some time ago) then I simply go somewhere else to find answers if needed. There is also the possibility to raise SRs with oracle support for critical problems you can't find solutions or nobody is able to help you or the forums are down. It is that simple.

If the problems you try to solve with forums.oracle.com are not worth a SR with support then I suggest you do the same as I'll do now: the weather is nice today, so I'll grab some beer, get on my bike, ride to the swimming lake and take a sunbath with a good book, my MP3 player and some beer.

cheers

"Ah of course. Now if one woman can deliver one baby in 9 months, then most certainly 9 women must be able to deliver one baby in 1 month, right?"  You are implying an analogy between the gestation of babies and the performance of a forum.

Really, do you expect me to swallow that?  That's a terrible analogy, and you must surely know it. It's not even an imperfect analogy. It's so imperfect it just doesn't make sense.

"I don't know about you, but I am not paying to use the oracle forums." Well, that's the nub of it, isn't it?  You imply that because it's not a paid-for service, it's acceptable for the forums to have substandard functionality, broken functionality, missing functionality, and poor performance, for this long after their rollout. IOW, Oracle doesn't directly make any money from it, and we pay personally nothing for it, therefore, it's okay if it takes months to fix all or even most of these issues.  What right do we have to complain, for surely, we pay nothing for these forums?

What is a terribly old-school, myopic view, taking nothing into account but direct monetary transactional value. But fair enough, it's what you believe; we just see things differently.

I think you can guarantee, if Larry Ellison or some other senior executive or even senior manager was using these forums, even to order their pizza, most of these issues would have been fixed by now.

Everybody seems content, I'm the only malcontent here; sticking up for what he believes, which is that this is a fatally flawed delivery with likely very few resources behind it, and that the users of the forums/fora deserve better, and that Oracle could have and should have delivered better. I've worked in massive global companies before.  They make a fortune in profits, cut resources to the bone, and then wonder why projects don't go to plan.  Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose, n'est ce pas?

Still, enjoy your beer

• 101. Re: Update on site issues
    jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert

> I am sure someone is working on the problems.

Optimist.

> No, I'd tell him to be patient and I am working on the problem. It won't go faster if I'd have to deliver progress reports.

Where exactly does it say anything at all about them working on the page load problem?  That is of course quite a bit different than other types of problems.  Doesn't have to be an hourly progress report but it would certainly be nice to know that even know that the problem is occurring.

• 102. Re: Update on site issues

> I don't know about you, but I am not paying to use the oracle forums. You are acting if forums.oracle.com is Oracles #1 business critical application and Oracle can't run a second without it

One could suppose however that this reflects poorly on their technical ability to solve problems.

• 103. Re: Update on site issues

> Everybody seems content, I'm the only malcontent here; sticking up for what he believes, which is that this is a fatally flawed delivery with likely very few resources behind it,

However I doubt the resources are less than what was available to the forums before the switch.

> I've worked in massive global companies before.  They make a fortune in profits, cut resources to the bone, and then wonder why projects don't go to plan

How is that an argument for improvement here?  Especially for Oracle?

• 104. Re: Update on site issues
    BillyVerreynne Oracle ACE

Jason_942375 wrote:

"No. Your post is perfectly visible. Has been since you posted it on the weekend."

Perfectly visible? So are you calling me a liar?

Maybe confused is a better description..?

I have seen your post, then the post with your 1st bump - which I thought a tad weird. Then the 2nd bump which I thought was silly. I was wondering why you were bumping it when you complain that it is not being seen, as how can you reply to something that is not visible...

Definitely confused is the phrase that comes to mind...

1 5 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next