This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2013 12:55 AM by BluShadow RSS

My alias doesn't show

jschellSomeoneStoleMyAlias Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Since the conversion my account id is showing instead of my account alias.

• 1. Re: My alias doesn't show
    KonradZuse Explorer

https://wikis.oracle.com/display/Forums/Forums+FAQ

https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2549993

These 2 links can be found under All Places > Develper > English, at the top of the page.

Which says

KNOWN ISSUES - Due to some complications with how we are using LDAP, at launch your user ID number will be associated with all your posts, not your username. Please update your profile with your correct username and you'll see the change when you log in again.

We have updated the FAQ here, and have a new thread with updates on known issues here.

• 2. Re: My alias doesn't show

I already did do the "update" before I posted.  And it didn't change.

And I just did it again.  And again there is no change.  This time I insured the update by changing something.

I will note that my public display name is not editable by me (yes I see it but the value cannot be changed.)

• 3. Re: My alias doesn't show
    Varun-Oracle Explorer

It might be possible that displayname which you are setting is already taken by someone else.

Are you seeing any error when you try to set displayname?

Would you try setting it to something unique?

• 4. Re: My alias doesn't show

> It might be possible that displayname which you are setting is already taken by someone els

Given that I was on the Sun site for 10 years and that when Oracle took the site my name transferred and that I am not attempting to change the name but just to get the existing one to display it I doubt it is "taken" unless the conversion process screwed it up.

And since I can't edit it anyways there is no option for me to change it to anything else.

• 5. Re: My alias doesn't show
    Varun-Oracle Explorer

And since I can't edit it anyways there is no option for me to change it to anything else.

Click on dropdown next to diaplay name --> Edit Profile and Privacy --> Click edit next to username

It'll redirect you to MyProfile page

Under OTN Community, Click Check Box,

After clicking it, You should be able to edit your displayname.

• 6. Re: My alias doesn't show

That lets me edit it.

Clicking the check box displays my previous display name - which wasn't happening before.

Attempting to update with that gives an error telling me that the name is already in use.

Searching oracle.com suggests that my alias by far belongs to me.  So either someone else is using it or the conversion process messed it up.

I would suspect the latter.

• 7. Re: My alias doesn't show
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

As far as I can tell, the forum upgrade lost everyone's handle (alias), so as the message provided said, it was necessary to log in and set your handle again.

It would seem that someone else has logged in and used your previous handle for themselves before you managed to get it again.

I guess you're either going to have to pick a new one that somebody hasn't used already or, considering you're a long term member, contact admin using the otnfeedback_us at oracle dotcom email address and ask them to look at who's taken your old handle and see if they can reassign it to you (especially if it's a newbie who's made no/few posts).

• 8. Re: My alias doesn't show
    Varun-Oracle Explorer

As far as I can tell, the forum upgrade lost everyone's handle (alias)

Forum upgrade hasn't lost anyone's handle alias. If you have ever set it in the past, you'll get it once you login to upgraded forums.

Only those who have never set their handle need to set it.

Cheers!!

• 9. Re: My alias doesn't show

> Forum upgrade hasn't lost anyone's handle alias. If you have ever set it in the past, you'll get it once you login to upgraded forums.

No idea what that means.

I do however know that my "handle" does not show now.  And it did show before the conversion.  I did so for about 15 years.

• 10. Re: My alias doesn't show
    Varun-Oracle Explorer

You lost your handle, because in past, If multiple users were having duplicate handles, old forums used to display same handle for all those users.

But in new forums, displayname is unique. SO say, if two users are having "ABC" as their handle in LDAP.

The user who will login first after upgrade will get the handle "ABC". For another user with same handle "ABC"  displayname won't be set because of unique constraint and that user will see "userID" as displayname.

To set your displayname, you need to set it to a unique value.

• 11. Re: My alias doesn't show
    1016950 Newbie

BluShadow wrote:

As far as I can tell, the forum upgrade lost everyone's handle (alias), so as the message provided said, it was necessary to log in and set your handle again.

It would seem that someone else has logged in and used your previous handle for themselves before you managed to get it again.

I guess you're either going to have to pick a new one that somebody hasn't used already or, considering you're a long term member, contact admin using the otnfeedback_us at oracle dotcom email address and ask them to look at who's taken your old handle and see if they can reassign it to you (especially if it's a newbie who's made no/few posts).

hmm - I've been having some weird issues - I used to be WhiteHat but now I can't select that, with the forums saying the username is taken.  sent an email off to that address, hopefully someone will figure out what's happened.

edit:  also looks like I'm back at "newbie" status.... something weird is going on.

• 12. Re: My alias doesn't show
    WhiteHat Expert

c58ddd1b-b5bc-4a17-8542-c9854ba3df7c wrote:

BluShadow wrote:

hmm - I've been having some weird issues - I used to be WhiteHat but now I can't select that, with the forums saying the username is taken.  sent an email off to that address, hopefully someone will figure out what's happened.

edit:  also looks like I'm back at "newbie" status.... something weird is going on.

Actually, just prior to the forum change over I changed my login email address.   It looks like that after the change over it has split this up into two accounts.  This is me logging under the old email address.... .... now to merge the two somehow........ 

• 13. Re: My alias doesn't show
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

WhiteHat,

That's not an issue from the forum upgrade, that's an issue (I believe with LDAP/Single Sign On) that existed in the old version too.  When someone changed their login email address, it was common for it to create them a new account and their old account to lose it's handle.  The only answer to that was to email otnfeedback_us at oracle dot com and give them details of both of the accounts so they could switch you back to the old account (not sure what they do, but I think they put your new email into the old account and remove it from the new one).  Not sure if they accounts can actually be "merged", I think they just do what they can to get you back on your old account so you have all your old posts and points etc.

• 14. Re: My alias doesn't show

> contact admin using the otnfeedback_us at oracle dotcom email address and ask them to look at who's taken your old handle and see if they can reassign it to you (especially if it's a newbie who's made no/few posts).

They specifically said that they can't fix it.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points