2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 3, 2013 7:56 AM by Krithi RSS

Ms access 2007(32 bit) does not show oracle 64 bit driver in system data sources when trying to create ODBC

Krithi

My system is having Oracle database 11gR2 installed (its a windows 2008 -64 bit server).

Oracle 64 bit drivers got installed during installation.This is verified by doing "create data source(ODBC)- system DSN- then in the drivers list Oracle in OraDB11g_home appears and I am able to create a "System DSN" there successfully.

Connectivity is successful here.

Now I want MS access 2007 to connect and get to this ODBC source (the database resides on a 64 bit server) but its not showing up.

I searched and realised that since ms access 2007 is a 32 bit application, it cannot see the oracle 64 bit driver.

So what are the possible solution to make this scenario work now?(other than installing ms access 2010 64 bit, which might work i suppose).

1)Do I have to install oracle 32 bit driver?is that the only option?if so, Please give me the right download link with instructions?

2)Any other way without installing the 32 bit driver, but doing any changes in some settings?

Thanks&regards.

• 1. Re: Ms access 2007(32 bit) does not show oracle 64 bit driver in system data sources when trying to create ODBC
          EdStevens

Krithi wrote:

My system is having Oracle database 11gR2 installed (its a windows 2008 -64 bit server).

Oracle 64 bit drivers got installed during installation.This is verified by doing "create data source(ODBC)- system DSN- then in the drivers list Oracle in OraDB11g_home appears and I am able to create a "System DSN" there successfully.

Connectivity is successful here.

Now I want MS access 2007 to connect and get to this ODBC source (the database resides on a 64 bit server) but its not showing up.

I searched and realised that since ms access 2007 is a 32 bit application, it cannot see the oracle 64 bit driver.

So what are the possible solution to make this scenario work now?(other than installing ms access 2010 64 bit, which might work i suppose).

1)Do I have to install oracle 32 bit driver?is that the only option?if so, Please give me the right download link with instructions?

2)Any other way without installing the 32 bit driver, but doing any changes in some settings?

Thanks&regards.

If your Access is 32-bit, then it will need the 32-bit Oracle client, including the 32-bit ODBC drivers.  And on a 64-bit windows machine, the 32-bit ODBC configuration applet is found at C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe.  The applet that is presented by default from the Control Panel will be the 64-bit version.

• 2. Re: Ms access 2007(32 bit) does not show oracle 64 bit driver in system data sources when trying to create ODBC
            Krithi

Thanks a lot, i was waiting to hear this to confirm!.Just one more doubt, i downloaded the driver from oracle site

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/visual-studio/downloads/index.html

but thats just the driver it seems (i downloaded the first link which has oracle ODBC driver).pls see below:

ODAC 11.2 Release 5 (11.2.0.3.20) with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 

Download the File           [Released September 11, 2012]

ODAC 11.2.0.3.20 with Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio

- Includes support for Visual Studio 2012 and .NET 4.5

Download Includes

Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio 11.2.0.3.20
             Oracle Data Provider for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Data Provider for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 4 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Providers for ASP.NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 4 11.2.0.3.0 -- for upgrade only
             Oracle Database Extensions for .NET 2.0 11.2.0.3.0 -- for upgrade only
             Oracle Provider for OLE DB 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Objects for OLE 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Services for Microsoft Transaction Server 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle ODBC Driver 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle SQL*Plus 11.2.0.3.0
             Oracle Instant Client 11.2.0.3.0

Will that not be enough?does the oracle 11g client 32 bit is needed?

please give me the correct link if you dont mind as i am confuded which version to download?

If i install oracle client in a completely separate oracle home and after this when i run

c:\windows\syswow64\odbcad32.exe, will the oracle driver show up there as a data source?

(I cant find any oracle drivers in the ODBC from system32 folder at the moment, but thats because it shows only 64 bit drivers-this is clear now.)

Thanks a lot again for help, please reply.