This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2013 6:02 AM by PhHein RSS

What is Branched to a new discussion.

jgarry Guru
Currently Being Moderated

I see that on the Update on site issues  thread directed to https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2555750 but don't have authorization to see it.  Is that some secret thread where people talk about us behind our backs?

• 1. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    rukbat Guru Moderator

"Branching" occurs when a moderator or an administrator breaks a post away from a thread.

That can be done when a post hijacks or resurrects a thread and it needs to be split away to stand on its own merits.

That can also be done (such as with the example you linked) when a spam post gets injected into a thread and needs to be split away and parked away from public view.

Branching post(s) is the opposite of merging post(s).

At the present time, we can branch content away, but post-merging is not a viable function.

Branching isn't anything new.   It was able to be done under the previous version of the OTN forums and with the current version of the forums.    You are simply now able to see the `breadcrumb` trail that something happened and what it may have been.

• 2. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    jgarry Guru

How do I know what it may have been?

• 3. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    PhHein Guru Moderator

jgarry wrote:

You don't, simple as that

• 4. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

jgarry wrote:

Easiest way to think about it is... if you can see something has been branched but you cannot get to it then the chances are it was spam or abusive and has been moved to one of the forums the moderators use for either discussing things with admin or dumping spam to be dealt with.

If it's not spam or abusive, then you're likely to be able to get to it, as it would more likely be branched out to be a discussion/thread in it's own right in the appropriate forum/space.

• 5. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    Timo Hahn Oracle ACE

jgarry wrote:

You don't, simple as that

Not quite right

if you follow the discussion or forum and have opted to receive email notifications you can check the thread against the mail you received. However, as it normally is spam which was removed, I don't care.

Timo

• 6. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    jgarry Guru

I would ask that the branched message be somehow visually separated from the latest reply message, so it doesn't look correlated.

• 7. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

You mean where it says e.g.

"126 RepliesLatest reply:                03-Jul-2013 16:44 by jgarry            Branched to a new discussion".

Yes, I agree, it does make it sound like the latest reply has been branched to a new discussion.

• 8. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    Dude! Guru

It seems that not only a moderator can branch a response, but also I can if I'm the owner of the discussion.

It shows: Branching messages into a new discussion allows you to split off irrelevant or off-topic messages into a new line of conversation. Use the form below to enter a subject for the new discussion then click "Branch to New Discussion" to create the new discussion.

I wonder if I should have the power or option to remove a response from my discussion? A response is often not what the OP expects, but I think only a moderator should be allowed to branch and move a response away. Or am I seeing this wrong?

• 9. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Dude,

I agree, it's perhaps a little too much power in the hands of the average user.  Whilst most people wouldn't abuse it, there would no doubt be those who just didn't like the response they were getting (even if the person is actually giving good advice, and perhaps they just don't realise it) and then 'get rid' of such responses by branching them out of their own discussion.

In the ideal world everyone would get along great and these 'discussions' would be social discussions, and people would agree that they want to branch off a topic of conversation to a new one.... but on a technical forum where people are not so 'au fait' with what is correct or not and seem to take offence for the wrong reasons, it's a feature that should only really be available to those who can make a proper judgement as to whether it's appropriate or not (and typically a moderator is only going to branch something spam/abusive or from a newbie hijacking who needs to ask their own question)

Hopefully Admin will tie that feature down to just the mods.

• 10. Re: What is Branched to a new discussion.
    PhHein Guru Moderator

Dude wrote:

It seems that not only a moderator can branch a response, but also I can if I'm the owner of the discussion.

It shows: Branching messages into a new discussion allows you to split off irrelevant or off-topic messages into a new line of conversation. Use the form below to enter a subject for the new discussion then click "Branch to New Discussion" to create the new discussion.

I wonder if I should have the power or option to remove a response from my discussion? A response is often not what the OP expects, but I think only a moderator should be allowed to branch and move a response away. Or am I seeing this wrong?

I've filed a bug in the OTN mods forum last week about it, but haven't gotten any feedback yet.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points