This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2013 7:04 AM by Stefan Jager RSS

Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.

TonyLeeming Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

When there are duplicate SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS each with a different COORD_OP_METHOD_ID how do I determine which COORD_OP_METHOD is used when I do a SDO_CS.TRANSFORM operation? I want to ensure that I use the NTv2 method for particular SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations.

• 1. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

Use SDO_CS.ADD_PREFERENCE_FOR_OP to create a preference that does what you want, then use SDO_CS.TRANSFORM in the third format listed which allows you to specify a Use Case. Specify the Use Case you set earlier as preference. That should enable you to ensure your transformation is correct.

HTH,

Stefan

• 2. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    TonyLeeming Newbie

Thanks Stefan,

That gives me something to try, but now I'm getting an ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel error.  I have logged a service request with Oracle support.  Thanks again for your help.

Tony

• 3. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

Hi Tony,

That's an odd error message to receive, because that usually signals a broken connection to your database, and should not be caused by the functions I recommended.

Can you show exactly what you did and what happenend? Usually ORA-03113 is accompanied by one or more other ORA-####, which one did you see?

Cheers,

Stefan

• 4. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    TonyLeeming Newbie

Hi,

First I created a preferred ops use case: SDO_CS.ADD_PREFERENCE_FOR_OP(1804,4203,4283,'AGD84 to GDA94')

Then I used SDO_CS.TRANSFORM in the form you specified: select sdo_cs.transform(SDO_GEOMETRY(2001,4203,SDO_POINT_TYPE(119.006177201804, -32.2452521646147, NULL),NULL,NULL),'AGD84 to GDA94',4283) from dual;

The grid file I am using was converted to ASCII using GDAit and loaded into the appropriate parameter value for the coord_op and method I am using.

There aren't any other error messages, just a process, and session id, and serial numbers (different each time).

• 5. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

I am getting the same:

SQL> exec SDO_CS.ADD_PREFERENCE_FOR_OP(1804,4203,4283,'AGD84 to GDA94');
    PL/SQL procedure successfully completed.
    SQL> select sdo_cs.transform(SDO_GEOMETRY(2001,4203,SDO_POINT_TYPE(119.006177201
    804, -32.2452521646147, NULL),NULL,NULL),'AGD84 to GDA94',4283) from dual;
    select sdo_cs.transform(SDO_GEOMETRY(2001,4203,SDO_POINT_TYPE(119.006177201804,
    -32.2452521646147, NULL),NULL,NULL),'AGD84 to GDA94',4283) from dual
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
    Process ID: 7956
    Session ID: 73 Serial number: 366
    SQL>
    SQL> select * from v$version;
    ERROR:
    ORA-03114: not connected to ORACLE
    SQL> connect ******/******
    Connected.
    SQL> select * from v$version;
    BANNER
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    CORE    11.2.0.1.0      Production
    TNS for 32-bit Windows: Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.2.0.1.0 - Production
    SQL>

It seems to me you are running into a bug. I noticed that on my system COORD_OP_ID 1804 exists, and that both SRID's that you use also exist in my DB, so I gave this a try and came up with the same result. Is there anybody else willing to give this a try? I think it's a bug in Oracle. My alert-logfile tells me that on pid='7956' an Access Violation occurred. You should probably add this information to your SR.

Cheers,

Stefan

• 6. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    Andrew_Wales Newbie

Stefan, I think you may be getting the error because even though 1804 is a valid operation, you have no grid loaded to support it. By default Oracle does not come with any NTv2 grids.

Andrew.

• 7. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    TonyLeeming Newbie

Hi Andrew,

Even with a NTv2 grid file loaded I am getting the ora-03113 error and the following allert log.  I have an SR 3-7464872451 open

Exception [type: SIGSEGV, Address not mapped to object] [ADDR:0x7F8BF7086248] [PC:0x450A7C8, mdtxepsg_read_epsg_params2()+15652] [flags: 0x0, count: 1]

Errors in file /app/oracle/diag/rdbms/cpdev/cpdev/trace/cpdev_ora_15174.trc  (incident=45136):

ORA-07445: exception encountered: core dump [mdtxepsg_read_epsg_params2()+15652] [SIGSEGV] [ADDR:0x7F8BF7086248] [PC:0x450A7C8] [Address not mapped to object] []

Use ADRCI or Support Workbench to package the incident.

See Note 411.1 at My Oracle Support for error and packaging details.

• 8. Re: Multiple SOURCE_SRID/TARGET_SRID combinations in MDSYS.SDO_COORD_OPS.
    Stefan Jager Journeyer

Hi Andrew,

With or without the grid file loaded, this is still a bug. If it wasn't a bug, the error message should have said something about a missing file, or an invalid operation, or whatever. But it doesn't, and if you check the logfiles you can actually see that when you try this it really pulls the database down with quite a severe exception.

So in this case it does not matter that I didn't have the grid file. Oracle should still look into it, because they should give an appropriate error message instead of crashing so bad that your connection is broken off - that's far more serious in some areas where I work than having invalid coord_ops.

Regards,

Stefan

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points