6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 23, 2013 2:50 AM by Tarun.Oracle RSS

d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud

Tarun.Oracle

Hi,

I don't have any practical idea about cloud database.

I use a 2 tire program (client/server) developed around Oracle Database 10g and D2K(Forms 6i / Report 6i).

It needs to install in all my branch office individually. and i need to collect data from all location and marge them

in a central database manually.

Is it possible the use a cloud database service with D2K(Forms 6i / Report 6i) so that all the data stores centrally.

Please educate me.

Regards,

Tarun

• 1. Re: d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud
          Andreas Weiden

I use a 2 tire program (client/server) developed around Oracle Database 10g and D2K(Forms 6i / Report 6i).

It needs to install in all my branch office individually. and i need to collect data from all location and marge them

in a central database manually.

Any special reason why the branch office installations don't use the central database directly? Are there network connections between the offices?

As for using Forms 6i in the cloud. As far as i know there is currently no cloud option to use forms. But even if it would be available, you would at least have to migrate to the current version (11g)

• 2. Re: d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud
            Tarun.Oracle

Hello,

thank you for replying.

As we do not have any VPN or dedicated communication line between branches (due to commercial reasons) we need to install individual database (oracle XP or standard-1). We can only connect internet using wareless data card as and when required.

Is there any other inexpensive way to use a common database among all branch office?

Regards,

Tarun

• 3. Re: d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud
              Christian Erlinger

So all in all you need to collect data offline and merge them in your central database once you go online for a certain period of time? Sounds rather excessive to have one oracle database for each location just to run forms against it. Is at least at the "client" side the database used by more then one session? If not then this is definitely not the solution you should go for.

If I'd have to implement a offline solution like this I surely won't do that in forms. What I could think about is a application which stores it's data offline (maybe in a SQLLite Database or whatever else) and by request can call a webservice to transmit the offline data to the central database. You'd still have to worry about lost updates (2 different branches update the same record for example) though for example.

The by far more easy way would be to migrate your forms application to the web (and by "web" I am not implicating webforms but any web powered technology) and invest in a VPN. If you have a HTML front-end (like APEX for example) the VPN line doesn't even need to be that broadband.

And as you mentioned cloud (seems to be the solution to everything nowadays): if you can afford to give your data out of hand and can afford to port your application to APEX and can afford the oracle cloud then this +might+ interest you:

https://cloud.oracle.com/mycloud/f?p=service:database_features:0:::::

In short oracle would host your application which would be available via internet. I for one wouldn't do that, but it was you who brought up the cloud

cheers

• 4. Re: d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud
                InoL

>As we do not have any VPN or dedicated communication line between branches (due to commercial reasons)

I find it very strange that you do not have one central database for all your branches. If you are putting the database in the cloud, you are going to do just that: have a network to a central database. I don't see much difference between your own WAN or internet in that aspect.

I want to include one more option: you can still run your client/server Forms 6i in the cloud if you choose a virtual desktop solution.

• 5. Re: d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud
                  InoL

And one more option I forgot: with Amazon RDS (for instance) you have a database in the cloud with SQL*Net access. That means it should be possible to access a database in the cloud from a local form.

• 6. Re: d2k(Forms 6i / Report 6i) in cloud
                    Tarun.Oracle

Thanks,

can you please enplane this section in details with an example:

I want to include one more option: you can still run your client/server Forms 6i in the cloud if you choose a virtual desktop solution.

Regards,

Tarun