2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2013 3:03 PM by JohnWatson RSS

Changing FRA in a RAC cluster

Chuck1958

I've got a 2 node 11.2 RAC cluster on Windows 2008 R2 thats currently using OCFS for the FRA. Due to instability issues with the OCFS drive, I want to switch the FRA over to ASM like the rest of the database files. Are there any special considerations for doing this? For example ...

• Can I do one instance at a time, or should I do both at the same time (sid="*").
      • Do I need to restart the instances? (I dont think so but I've never had to change the FRA before)
        • 1. Re: Changing FRA in a RAC cluster
          Mihael

Chuck1958 wrote:

I've got a 2 node 11.2 RAC cluster on Windows 2008 R2 thats currently using OCFS for the FRA. Due to instability issues with the OCFS drive, I want to switch the FRA over to ASM like the rest of the database files. Are there any special considerations for doing this? For example ...

• Can I do one instance at a time, or should I do both at the same time (sid="*").

Better to switch to new FRA on all instances at the same time. But you can do it separatly also.

Corrected. From docs:

"You must set this parameter for every instance, and multiple instances must have the same value."

• Do I need to restart the instances? (I dont think so but I've never had to change the FRA before)

If you want to move objects to new FRA, this depends on what is located in old FRA. For controlfile instance should be restarted. For online logs you can add members to new FRA and remove from old location while instance is running.

Message was edited by: Mihael

• 2. Re: Changing FRA in a RAC cluster
            JohnWatson

You have no choice: the parameter must be the same for all instances at all times. So the only way is

sid='*' scope=both

Do it any time, you do not need to restart the instances, no problem with online logfiles or controlfiles. Move them afterwards if you want to, but no necessity.