This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 6, 2013 4:33 AM by Aman.... RSS

RAC start/stop

1010168 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I am reading some site specific procedure  documentation that says "Cycle the instances w/in the RAC to ensure a clean state."

Can anyone tell me what this might mean?  I am thinking to start and stop all the instances prior to proceeding with a script to alter tablespaces to read-only....but why?  Is this really necessary?

• 1. Re: RAC start/stop
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

1010168 wrote:

I am reading some site specific procedure  documentation that says "Cycle the instances w/in the RAC to ensure a clean state."

Can anyone tell me what this might mean?  I am thinking to start and stop all the instances prior to proceeding with a script to alter tablespaces to read-only....but why?  Is this really necessary?

Why you want to bounce the entire db just to make a tablespace read-only? What good the bounce of the db is going to do with the command? To answer your question, no it's really not required.

Aman....

• 2. Re: RAC start/stop
    1010168 Newbie

That's what I thought..I DON"T want to bounce....I'm new here so I am a little cautious, but I have observed some anomalies in the scripts and procedures that I would recommend to change and this would be one of them but I just thought perhaps there is some obscure reason (In RAC) that required this step...like maybe one of the instances was engaged in a transaction that would affect the outcome of the script...I mean what could be the meaning of "clean state" in this context?

I see that later in the procedure they want to truncate some partitions then resize some tablespaces but I still do not see need for bouncing the instances.

I don't see anything that is gained to bounce these instances...sounds like you agree....Thanks for your comment, Aman.

• 3. Re: RAC start/stop
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

Glad to know that I could help .

Aman....

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points