3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2013 1:47 PM by lrp1 RSS

Converting Guaranteed Flashback Restore Point to Normal?

lrp1

Hi there. Just curious if you can convert a guranteed flashback restore point to a normal?

I've already read the documentation on flashback databases and suspect it's not possible. Just curious.

CREATE RESTORE POINT pre_deploy guarantee flashback database;
        • 1. Re: Converting Guaranteed Flashback Restore Point to Normal?
          DK2010

Hi,

AFAIK you can not convert this, there is only option to create and drop.

• 2. Re: Converting Guaranteed Flashback Restore Point to Normal?
            Aman....

I tried to look for any alter command support for Restore Point but there isn't any so it means that you can't do the conversion .

Aman....

• 3. Re: Converting Guaranteed Flashback Restore Point to Normal?
              lrp1

Thanks all for the confirmation, it's just as I suspected.

I would have loved this as a feature request, because logically the guaranteed restore point requires space and would halt operations to do so, whereas the normal restore point is a 'nice to have':

- save pre-upgrade database state with a guaranteed restore point pre_deploy

- do "X" transaction (upgrade, deploy, application release) successfully

- convert pre_deploy from guaranteed to normal restore

the pre_deploy save point becomes non-critical but a good thing to have in case we want to flashback to prior snapshots of specific tables or something as time goes on.  As the flashback points age-off, I wouldn't want to hold the instance hostage just to keep an old flashback point which we technically wouldn't need, but may be.

My workaround solution will likely be to create TWO flashback points:

CREATE RESTORE POINT pre_deploy_guaranteed guarantee flashback database;

CREATE RESTORE POINT pre_deploy;

After the success, I delete the guaranteed one:

drop restore point pre_deploy_guaranteed;